Hospital vs retail job opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vasoolraja

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends: I would like to work as a pharmacist in a hospital after my Pharm D, and I would like to know if it is harder to get a pharmacist job in a hospital compared to retail pharmacy. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Friends: I would like to work as a pharmacist in a hospital after my Pharm D, and I would like to know if it is harder to get a pharmacist job in a hospital compared to retail pharmacy. Thanks in advance for your responses.
I am currently working towards getting my doctorate in pharmacy. It really depends on your connections and how you network. Your school may have career fairs where you can meet people that will give you internships in hospitals or in retail. I know that personally, when I graduate, I want to work in retail because I feel like it will be a little easier finding a job in that specific field. Retail usually also pays more, if you research salary websites you will find that out too.

I am currently working towards getting my doctorate in pharmacy. It really depends on your connections and how you network. Your school may have career fairs where you can meet people that will give you internships in hospitals or in retail. I know that personally, when I graduate, I want to work in retail because I feel like it will be a little easier finding a job in that specific field. Retail usually also pays more, if you research salary websites you will find that out too.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Networking will probably be a big assest if you want to land a hospital pharmacy position. You may also want to consider doing a residency since majority of positions either require or prefer someone with residency background.

Networking will probably be a big assest if you want to land a hospital pharmacy position. You may also want to consider doing a residency since majority of positions either require or prefer someone with residency background.

Thanks for the information Delano.

both are hard to get, it dont help that retail rph dont like hospital and hosptial look down at retail