Hospital vs Retail Pharmacy Techs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candita505

Latin Heat
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone is having a good night!!

I was just curious as to any of your experiences working as pharmacy techs in a hospital versus those working in retail. I have some retail pharm tech experience but am interviewing for a job at a hospital on Friday... I'm VERY excited about the prospect, but was looking for any input. How much does it differ? Is it more exciting? Do any of you know if the pay is better?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I've worked both in retail and hospital. I must say that I like working in a hospital pharmacy better.

First, there are no rude patients/customers to deal with. The nurses can be demanding sometimes but they rarely get very ugly mainly because they can get written up for being unprofessional. Rude doctors, on the other hand, are a different story.

Second, there are no quota to deal with. No "for every 4 scripts 1 must be entered and filled within 15 mins".

Third, no drive-thru.

Fourth, you get to do different things each day. One day you could be doing IVs then, the following day you could be doing something else.

Fifth, no annoying phone calls like "what shape is your vicodin?" Probably the most annoying call we receive in the hospital is "I called X hours ago and I still don't have my patient's meds!(they don't bother to check the tube!)

Sixth, the pay is better. How much better? Depends on your location. In some cities, the pay difference could be as much as 2-3 dollars per hour.

Having said that, I also must say that some people find hospital pharmacy boring. I guess, you will just have to find out for yourself which one you like better.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input! When I was a senior in high school, I was fortunate enough to be chosen to participate in a year long program designed for students who wanted to be in the healthcare field... long story short, my rotation in the hospital pharmacy was what sparked my interest in becoming a pharmacist in the first place... and here I am 10 years later. :)

I've worked retail and it never "inspired" me like that did, so I'm hoping that I get this job and that I love it. We shall see!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope everyone is having a good night!!

I was just curious as to any of your experiences working as pharmacy techs in a hospital versus those working in retail. I have some retail pharm tech experience but am interviewing for a job at a hospital on Friday... I'm VERY excited about the prospect, but was looking for any input. How much does it differ? Is it more exciting? Do any of you know if the pay is better?

Thanks in advance!

I've only worked in a hospital so I can't say anything about retail from my own experience. However, many of my co-workers have worked at retail and hospital and every single one of them has said that they like hospital better.. I've heard numerous horror stories about disgruntled customers. o__0

Anyhow, I'm sure both sides has it's ups and downs. It's great that you are getting experience in both sides! One thing I can tell you-- pay is much higher working as a tech in a hospital pharmacy vs. retail. My friends in retail make little over minimum, while I'm making 17.24/hr (starting was 16.24/hr). I think most places also pay slightly more when you're working in the IV room. I'm not sure how much more I get but it's probably something like 30 cents more per hour.

I just started in a hospital pharmacy 2 weeks ago and I've worked in retail for about a year. The upside of hospital (as others have said) is that you don't have to deal with angry customers. However, you DO have to deal with being around patients - I deliver medication to the NICU everyday and some days are more emotionally challenging than others up there. Maybe you get used to it after awhile (like I said, I've only been there 2 weeks), but it has been more difficult than I thought to see so many really ill people.

The other downside at the hospital is that you don't get to see customers - I know I listed that as an advantage earlier, but we have some really great customers at my retail job who just make my day sometimes. I get slightly more satisfaction out of helping someone directly at my retail job than through an indirect chain at the hospital. As for the pay, I only make 50 cents more an hour at the hospital than I do at my retail job (but since I'm a student, my pay should increase $2-3 for every year I stay at the hospital).

Just my 2 cents worth!

but retail pharmacists get paid more than hospital pharmacists correct?

but retail pharmacists get paid more than hospital pharmacists correct?

That's how it works in Hawaii. And technicians at the hospitals get paid more than technicians in retail pharmacies.