hospital work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So whether I apply international or stay in the US, I'm going to have about a year off between graduation and med school entry (if I get in). I want to work in a hospital (clinical setting, not research). What kind of jobs are available or suitable for graduates who have not earned an MD yet? would clerical work say..in the Emergency division be alright, even though there wouldn't be much patient contact? or should I try to get something like...Patient Attendant?

Thanks much. Am confused :).

Members don't see this ad.

I have worked as both (a clerk in an ICU and a patient attendant in the Trauma dept. and medical ICU.) I would say that you can get a ton of patient exposure in either position. Being a clerk gives you a lot of experience, but only with the patients' chart (allws you to become familiar with labs, meds, etc. and by reading prgress notes and the MDs evaluations, you can learn what the docs are looking for when the see a patient.) Personally, I found being an attendant much more rewarding. I got to work hands on with patients, and you can get a lot of practice learning how to talk to all different kinds of people. Its also a good way to see a lot of procedures, and observe the way physicians interact with patients, and how all of the hospital staff interact with each other to help people get well. In any case, I think that no matter which position you choose, what you get out of it will be based on how use the opportunity to your advantage.
Hope this helps! and sorry to ramble on for so long :)

What exactly does a patient attendant do, how did you get that job, and how much can you expect to be paid?
Does anyone have any other suggestions for health-related jobs you can get with a BS?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about working as a research associate for a clinical study? Then, you'd be working in a hospital environment (often, I guess not always, have direct patient contact, learn about a specific field, and also do a little research?

I don't know if you'd be interested in that, but I found this to be a great way to get the chance to work with people and learn a *lot*. If you're interested, I can give you more info...

Good luck!

I currently work at Cornell University, doing MRI research. It's very challenging but I do get patient contact since I'm the one calling them up and scheduling them to come in for a scan. I prep the patient and sometimes i'm in the scanner with the patients if they're nervous abt the scanning.

Leorl,

Well, depending on the undergrad degree you have, there are plenty of jobs in the hospital which can give you great clinical experience. I started out being an ECG Monitor Tech/Unit Secretary for a small eight bed ICU when I finished with undergrad. Not lots of $, but it was a great clinical experience. Most hospitals have separate rooms for the monitor techs to set up in- and you really wouldn't be by yourself. Gives you plenty of time for study when you're not watching the monitors. Clinical secretaries also learn a great deal about different diagnoses, meds, etc. So, just go and look around- There's plenty out there.

Hope this helps, :)

If you don't have a science degree, there aren't a ton of opportunities, unless you dig real hard. As an English major, I struggled to fill my year off. I eventually called up several area hospitals and asked about nursing assistant training. Some offer a program through their HR department that obligates you to work for them after the course in whatever shift they need filled. Others offer courses through community colleges that you pay a little for, but you can go and find your own job that fits your schedule when you finish. The class is incredibly easy and patient contact is your job. You might find some of the stuff you do menial, but alot of it is the stuff that most take for granted. How much worse off is a bed-ridden patient without someone to pass a bedpan? If you want to be a doctor to make people better, then being an NA is a great way to get into people's lives and find a new perspective on your pending career.