Hospital Work

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. Geoff, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Dr. Geoff

Dr. Geoff Mzungu

Medical Student
    I want to volunteer in a hospital this summer because I think it would be a good experience. I want to be around the environment I plan on working in. How should I go about doing this? Should I call the hospital and let them know that I am interested? What would I end up doing? Could they just possibly stick me in the cafeteria or something? When should I go about doing this, when this school year ends, or should I call ahead of time, like now? Please let me know, thanx.

Jeff

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Just call the hospital. Most hospitals have a volunteer coordinator of some sort and they should be able to assist in placing you.

4. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    you may also try to check with your premed advisor. My school has listings of hospitals that specifically asked for student volunteers/paid interns

5. Elysium

Elysium Not Really An Old Beaver

Non-Student
    Almost all hospitals have volunteer departments. You can go the hospital's website and find the link to the volunteer office or just call the hospital's info line and ask for the volunteer coordinator. I volunteered at Mass General Hospital in Boston, and this was the procedure:
    1) go to training session to learn about hospital protocols
    2) go to an interview with the volunteer coordinator, including doing a criminal background check
    3) get immunization records and do a TB skin test (they did mine for free)
    4) get your little coat (ours were pink - horrible) and your pass and they send you to the ward you select (I went to OB)
    5) Don't expect too terribly much out of volunteering. Because of insurance reasons, you can't really do anything too invasive. Mostly it's just scut work, bringing patients flowers, or water, or juice. Maybe talking to the patients if they're not too tired. Changing sheets (with the nurses) and knowing when to stay out of the way.
    Most pre-meds like volunteering in the ER, because you MIGHT get to see something cool. But just realize that your role in the hospital is very minute. Take it for what it is and enjoy the experience!

6. Bevo

Bevo Radiology, R1

Resident [Any Field]
    i volunteered in an outpatient ward in a hospital. My biggest advice is bring a good book along. I did a lot of sitting around. But when I did do stuff it was mostly folding up sheets and getting them in organized packs with towels and other stuff so nurses could change the beds quicker. I discharged patients 90% of the time of when I was doing anything, occassionaly ran stuff to the lab, and sometimes showed people to the other parts of the hospital. Never really saw much, which was a good thing for the patients.

Its good experience, but its not going to resemble anything you see on tv.