Hospitalist 0.5 FTE to 0.75 FTE or Weekend Only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Analyzthis

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a PGY 2 resident who loves patient care but am pretty burnt out.

I'm looking to start a 0.5 FTE to 0.75 FTE hospitalist position out of residency. Anyone working this type of position?

I want to get to know my daughter a bit better haha and just enjoy life.

I'm not really interested in building a retirement portfolio and would be happy making 100k doing 20 hr/week. I want to work until I'm 90 and my hands are shaking or until my daughter starts to take care of me haha.

I know 1 week on 3 week off is possible. But how about 2 day on 5 day off. Eg I could work every weekend (give everyone else the weekends off haha) and working every week would keep me sharp. Or 3 days on 10 days off.

I know in some cases my pay not be proportional to 1.0 FTE. For example, in a group practice I may have to pay the same cost of insurance and overhead as my FTE partners. I'm okay with that.

And honestly, after 5 to 7 years of part time work and relationship building with my family, I may turn around and go back to FTE. Like I said, I'm not looking to retire early I'm in this for the long haul.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do locums… you can decide how much you want to work.
I think locums will come in handy esp if I want a shifts here and there.

Regarding living off locums...

I know a lot of online bloggers blog about how they live off locums long term. But on some level, they're saying what their readers want to hear. What's your personal experience with it?

I think locums will come in handy esp if I want a shifts here and there.

Regarding living off locums...

I know a lot of online bloggers blog about how they live off locums long term. But on some level, they're saying what their readers want to hear. What's your personal experience with it?
I do locums endocrine…work 2 weeks/month. Have since I finished fellowship…started because of family needs, and then with covid, haven’t really looked for a FT position.
I occasionally help out a local endocrinologist by doing some call for him… but that’s to help out, not because of the money.

This sounds like great news to me. I mean endocrinology probably has a better locums market than hospitalists.

But I imagine I can find a hospitalist locums work schedule... and I honestly enjoy the small town life if need be

Hello! I'm a PGY 2 resident who loves patient care but am pretty burnt out.

I'm looking to start a 0.5 FTE to 0.75 FTE hospitalist position out of residency. Anyone working this type of position?

I want to get to know my daughter a bit better haha and just enjoy life.

I'm not really interested in building a retirement portfolio and would be happy making 100k doing 20 hr/week. I want to work until I'm 90 and my hands are shaking or until my daughter starts to take care of me haha.

I know 1 week on 3 week off is possible. But how about 2 day on 5 day off. Eg I could work every weekend (give everyone else the weekends off haha) and working every week would keep me sharp. Or 3 days on 10 days off.

I know in some cases my pay not be proportional to 1.0 FTE. For example, in a group practice I may have to pay the same cost of insurance and overhead as my FTE partners. I'm okay with that.

And honestly, after 5 to 7 years of part time work and relationship building with my family, I may turn around and go back to FTE. Like I said, I'm not looking to retire early I'm in this for the long haul.
Both hospitals I work at will pretty much let you dial in your desired workload anywhere from 0.5-1.2 FTEs (They'll let you work less than 0.5 FTE, but you'll need to provide your own malpractice coverage). Generally 1 FTE will require you to work 2 weekends and 2 of 3 summer and winter holidays, and 0.5 FTE will cut that requirement in half but not eliminate it.
You could also consider working 0.5 FTE nocturnist, which would earn you around 125k for 5 nights a month not including quality or productivity bonus. Lastly, if you don't care about benefits like retirement contributions or employer Healthcare and looking for maximum flexibility- consider locums. You could pretty much dial in your exact schedule and never work a weekend or a holiday again.

Reactions: 1 user
Both hospitals I work at will pretty much let you dial in your desired workload anywhere from 0.5-1.2 FTEs (They'll let you work less than 0.5 FTE, but you'll need to provide your own malpractice coverage). Generally 1 FTE will require you to work 2 weekends and 2 of 3 summer and winter holidays, and 0.5 FTE will cut that requirement in half but not eliminate it.
You could also consider working 0.5 FTE nocturnist, which would earn you around 125k for 5 nights a month not including quality or productivity bonus. Lastly, if you don't care about benefits like retirement contributions or employer Healthcare and looking for maximum flexibility- consider locums. You could pretty much dial in your exact schedule and never work a weekend or a holiday again.
This is awesome. Thank you. I love to hear that 0.5 FTE is commonly available!

Also regarding the nocturnist, it makes sense that the night work adds ~15k to 25k to the hospitalist base.

Why do you work at two hospitals? Did the second ask you and need you like with rokshana or was it another reason?

This sounds like great news to me. I mean endocrinology probably has a better locums market than hospitalists.

But I imagine I can find a hospitalist locums work schedule... and I honestly enjoy the small town life if need be
There are far more hospitalists locums positions out there… more need per se so if you want to work locums hospitalist, you will be able to find a place…and may even find one that doesn’t require you to travel.

There are far more hospitalists locums positions out there… more need per se so if you want to work locums hospitalist, you will be able to find a place…and may even find one that doesn’t require you to travel.
Woaahh nice! I like the sound of this. The future looks bright. Thank you.