Hospitalist: comm vs acad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satori47

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be lookin to apply for a hospitalist position in the near future and want to decide whether to go with a community hosp vs an academic center.

i'm currently in an academic center, and from what I can see, the PROS are : pt load is around 12-15 cap, usu M-F (with some random weeks of nights or weekends). good ancillary staff. CON: pts very complex (each pt usu always have 3-4 active problems) since it is a tertiary center, and consult svcs somewhat hesitant about doing consults. (since it is not a fee for svc setting).

from what I can understand about comm hosptals, to work there i'll probably be joining a private practice group, hours vary, M-F or 7 on 7 off , or some variation thereof. Supposedly there are no caps, and may range from 15-20 or so, but the incr in census would be ok if pts are not as complex

What are the pt profiles in community hosp like? Are the majority with 1-2 medical problems (kind of like overnight observation types?) I would hate to work in a comm setting only to find that the pts are just as complex as tertiary centers (here we take care of post-ICU pts, SNF pts, neurosurg consults, etc, pre/post-OLT, pre/post CRT type of pts).

and in terms of malprac, i am under the impression that I should opt for the per-occurrence rather than the per-claims policy right? since the latter would require tail coverage.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.