Hospitalist fellowship program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmarbry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hospitalist needed. Seeking BC/BE Internal Medicine or Family Practice physician. Experience of at least 1-2 years preferred. For consideration email current CV and/or any questions and concerns to [email protected]. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hospitalist needed in Georgia. Seeking BC/BE Internal Medicine or Family Practice physician to join group of 5 Hospitalists. Full time, full beneifits, and relocation reimbursement. Experience of at least 1-2 years preferred. For new residency graduates, option for Hospitalist fellowship position. For consideration email current CV and/or any questions and concerns to [email protected]. DB1027 Thank you!!

Who the heck would want to do a fellowship in hospital medicine. Sounds like a shameless attempt to get cheap labor with a completely unnecessary "fellowship". Maybe the job is great, but the fellowship...?

Who the heck would want to do a fellowship in hospital medicine. Sounds like a shameless attempt to get cheap labor with a completely unnecessary "fellowship". Maybe the job is great, but the fellowship...?

Totally agree with nolagas
Fellowship as hospitalist is useless imo for almost all IM graduates

Members don't see this ad :)
wait, wait!!! Im doing my hospitalist fellowship rigth now!!! its called Internal Medicine Residency!! LOL.

but why all these reactions? yes there is something called hospitalist fellowship for FP doctors, they cannot practice as hospitalist unless they finished fellowship in it.

but why all these reactions? yes there is something called hospitalist fellowship for FP doctors, they cannot practice as hospitalist unless they finished fellowship in it.

First let me start off by saying that I have nothing against hospitalists. In fact I think it's a great gig for those who are looking for a nice lifestyle while still maintaining a good source of interesting pathology.

With regards to the above, most hospitalist positions are open to pretty much anyone. Not only are "hospitalist" fellowships unnecessary, but they often will take Family Practice, Peds, General Surgery and others in addition to IM.

I Completely agree that a hospitalist fellowship is a shady trick to get cheap labor which is precisely what a hospitalist does anyway.

One year of doing hospitalist work right out of your residency will probably afford you the same experience as a hospitalist fellowship.

If I were going on interviews or even before interviewing for a hospitalist fellowship I would ask superiors what the benefits of the fellowship trained hospitalist has when compared to the non-fellowship trained hospitalist? IE.

Can you bill for better codes?
Are reimbursements higher?

If anyone knows the answer to these please post.

What are you talking about? Are you in Family Medicine? Almost half of my graduating class this year got jobs as hospitalists (in NYC, Seattle, PA to name a few). No, you do not "need" to do a fellowship to work as a hospitalist comming from FM.

Last edited:
i agree. i have no idea why anyone would do a hospitalist fellowship.

i agree. i have no idea why anyone would do a hospitalist fellowship.

Primarily for those interested in pursuing academic medicine. Shouldn’t be a clinically based fellowship, since a qualified graduate hopefully should have the clinical skills necessary to perform inpatient medicine. The hospitalist fellowship may allow someone to develop a research niche, or to become better versed in teaching/education. A lot of the hospitalists where I work are intimately involved in developing and improving med student/resident education, more so than the other IM services. While you don't "need" a fellowship, seems like learning about effective teaching might be better accomplished as a fellow, rather than as a first year attending. We all need better teachers.

A fellowship being offered at a non-academic/non-teaching center OTOH, does appear kinda shady.

A fellowship program is opening at a hospital in my area that pays at the PGY-4 level. The benefit I see from this program is that tuition for an MPH is paid for. There is also protected research time.

A fellowship program is opening at a hospital in my area that pays at the PGY-4 level. The benefit I see from this program is that tuition for an MPH is paid for. There is also protected research time.

The benefit is that the hospital can pay an attending 1/4 of their actual salary (while working 2x the hours) because they're "training" them. This is a scam. If you need research time, check into the schedules available for hospitalists; there's plenty of free time.

agree with ludicolo.
I would only do a hospitalist fellowship if
a) I want to do academic medicine, and
b) it's at a highly reputable academic medical center (Harvard, etc.), and
c) there are defined benefits like protected research time

Hospitalist fellowship.... that is pretty funny stuff. About as bad as the "emergency radiology" fellowships out there. Come take our call for a year while we pay you peanuts! We'll give you a piece of paper at the end that says you're harvard/ucsf/etc trained and totally qualified to do the job you're already qualified for!

If you want to brush up on your hospitalist skills, just work as a hospitalist for a year. Your wallet will thank you.