Hospitalist job hunt not as easy as it seems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMbrewery

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

When do people usually start looking and subsequently sign for hospitalist jobs? I sent out my CV to some places in the past month and have not really heard back from many places at all. In fact, I sent my CV to places in Austin, TX and basically heard instantly that they (large hospital network in Austin) have no jobs currently or plan on having any jobs available in the immediate future.

I guess everyone made it seem like finding a hospitalist job would be easy but so far all I'm hearing is that places are not hiring or the hospital recruiter has just not contacted me back. Did I just start applying too early? For what its worth I'm in my final year of IM residency, so far have sent my application to about 8 different hospital recruiters in 2 different major cites. Thoughts? Should I just chill out, have a beer and wait longer while I keep applying elsewhere and send follow up emails next week? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Lol. Too tried to get a job in one of the most sought after markets in the country and when you found out there are none you create a thread?

Is this real life?

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps I could have done a better job of asking my question and left out some of my experiences. I was under the impression that hospital recruiters were there as a means to assist potential placement and think that its a little odd that many of them I have not heard back from. Hence, why I wanted to ask people on this forum who have been through it before what their thoughts are. I have never applied for hospitalist jobs and don't know what is typical for the industry since my adviser with my residency is pretty much worthless. Sorry if the question comes off in a negative way. :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps I could have done a better job of asking my question and left out some of my experiences. I was under the impression that hospital recruiters were there as a means to assist potential placement and think that its a little odd that many of them I have not heard back from. Hence, why I wanted to ask people on this forum who have been through it before what their thoughts are. I have never applied for hospitalist jobs and don't know what is typical for the industry since my adviser with my residency is pretty much worthless. Sorry if the question comes off in a negative way. :-/

Hospitalist positions may be saturated in certain markets. I think cold calls to hospitals directly will eventually play out. But you can't scratch your head when you've talked to all the hospitals in La Jolla and no one has gotten back to you. Expand your search.

Hospitalist positions may be saturated in certain markets. I think cold calls to hospitals directly will eventually play out. But you can't scratch your head when you've talked to all the hospitals in La Jolla and no one has gotten back to you. Expand your search.

You're right, I cant just sit here and hope for something to come. I'll continue to expand my search.

Hospitalist work is becoming saturated in certain markets. Austin has two main hospitalist groups with total control of the two main hospital systems. Look at regional hospitals located outside your target cities. (For Austin area: San Marcos, Seguin, Fredericksburg, etc.) Learn the area, network, and you'll find what you want. Also, outpatient work in Austin is dominated by two Clinics, both built years-ago on the Mayo Clinic model.

Austin is growing though, and new hospitals are being built...

Hey guys,

When do people usually start looking and subsequently sign for hospitalist jobs? I sent out my CV to some places in the past month and have not really heard back from many places at all. In fact, I sent my CV to places in Austin, TX and basically heard instantly that they (large hospital network in Austin) have no jobs currently or plan on having any jobs available in the immediate future.

I guess everyone made it seem like finding a hospitalist job would be easy but so far all I'm hearing is that places are not hiring or the hospital recruiter has just not contacted me back. Did I just start applying too early? For what its worth I'm in my final year of IM residency, so far have sent my application to about 8 different hospital recruiters in 2 different major cites. Thoughts? Should I just chill out, have a beer and wait longer while I keep applying elsewhere and send follow up emails next week? Thanks

I know Austin well and I am shocked you can't find a hospitalist job. I know a few groups who are currently looking for docs b/c of significant shortage

Hey guys,

Any interest in coming to Cincinnati? My group is currently hiring:) Message me and I can give you contact info if interested.