hospitalist life style?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
im not very familar with hospitalists? So if im correct, they are just like internists who only take care of inpatients?

In the threads i'm reading, several ppl mentioned hospitalists getting 26 weeks off... which is half a year and still get paid ~150+k on half a years work. Why is their salary so high compared to internists who work a full year in the hospital and only get low 200s?

I'm basically interested in hospitalists b/c it sounds like a great career to work for 6 months and play video games for the other 6.. but it sounds too good to be true!!

Members don't see this ad.

im not very familar with hospitalists? So if im correct, they are just like internists who only take care of inpatients?

In the threads i'm reading, several ppl mentioned hospitalists getting 26 weeks off... which is half a year and still get paid ~150+k on half a years work. Why is their salary so high compared to internists who work a full year in the hospital and only get low 200s?

I'm basically interested in hospitalists b/c it sounds like a great career to work for 6 months and play video games for the other 6.. but it sounds too good to be true!!

I just think this is a good moment to think about it this way. A hospitalist will typically work 7 12 hour shifts and then have 7 days off. So if you do that for 26 weeks you work 7*12*26 which equals 2184 hours. Now if you are an internist that works 9-5 in a clinic putting in 40 hours a week with some call here and there you work 40*52 which equals 2080 hours. Technically if you look at it the hours put in are roughly the same. It is just a change to shift work. You can apply that type of schedule to any profession if you want and get the same hours worked. It's just doing them in bulk. I have known a few anesthesia guys that do this as well.

Is the 7 on/7 off the most common schedule or is it more like 12-15 shifts per month spread out however is decided among the hospitalist group?

Is the 7 on/7 off the most common schedule or is it more like 12-15 shifts per month spread out however is decided among the hospitalist group?

Definitely. Both are common. Larger groups will do more of the distributed scheduling while smaller groups will do more of the 7/7. Unless they don't.