Hospitalist/Nocturnist Locum Job in Dallas/DFW area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmeinwillya

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
New grad, have Texas Medical license, first job post-residency, where to look for Locum Nocturnist positions in Dallas or surrounding areas? Not seeing much in the way of open positions in the area. I'm new to Dallas, spouse already working in the area in non-medical job. Can travel maybe upto 20-50 miles or something if widening the search area will help.

I would appreciate any pointers/places to check? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1) Find hospitals in locations that seem acceptable
2) Find phone/emails of "director of hospital medicine" or "inpatient medicine lead" or something like that
3) Cold call or email, send an abbreviated CV if emailing, and let them know you are available for XX shifts/month
4) Meet with said people, negotiate a rate (locums undercuts you by about 1/3 the rate, so if locums says they will pay you 150/hr, they are charging the hospital closer to 220 an hour). I would split the difference between what locums would charge and what you would make from locums, so a job like the above ask for 180/hr to cover your 1099 self employment tax (extra 8%) and lack of other health/retirement benefits.
5) When speaking with them, ask them how many shifts a month they need from you to cover your malpractice, and the minimum should be claims made with X years tail, X being the max years that a texas med mal lawsuit can be made after the actual occurence of the event, and better yet would be an occurence policy, which means you are just flat out covered for anything that happened while you were under their direct employ. You should NOT have to pay for your own med mal. Texas also is a favorable state I hear.
6) Profit, dolla bills y'all, make it rain. (Save 40% of every paycheck you earn for 24-33% federal tax, and 8% social security tax. Lucky that texas has no state tax)

7) PM me for my venmo for this consultation ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for your reply! and consultation fee on its way to Venmo @bobow98 :) you accept crypto? LOL!

Based on few conversations I had with recruiters, they seem to suggest that Dallas and Texas in general has been dry for couple years for locum type of work. There're full time 7-on, 7-off hospitalist opportunities that come up here and there (even those are in short supply!)

Thinking of getting licenses in close-by states (OK or AR) so may be get weekend shifts or more flexibility and availability of short term work.

I would be ok to get licensed in one more state if I know that Locum shifts will be available for long time.

What has been your experience in DFW or Texas in general for locum work .. I'm NOT looking for full time at the moment..want to pick up few shifts to get experience. Reason is personal and I will be more available further down the lane and that point would be perfectly fine to do full time.

What am I missing? Or are Locum hospitalist opportunities in Texas are non-existent?

Should I move back to NY? Not missing the snow in NY and loving Texas otherwise!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
what about part time work ? i'm a hospitalist at one of dallas' biggest hospitals. 11 shifts is considered full time in our group. 10 PM to 7 AM. PM if you're interested

what about part time work ? i'm a hospitalist at one of dallas' biggest hospitals. 11 shifts is considered full time in our group. 10 PM to 7 AM. PM if you're interested
I've been away from the forum so I apologize for the late reply. Thank you for your response! Yes, I'm interested. Sent you PM, please take a look. Thank you again for your help!

Last edited: