Hospitalist schedule- no weekends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yakattack16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current PGY-2 gearing up for impending clinical practice in a year. Have children and have begun my job search, but just see a smattering of 7/7 postings, or "flexibility allowed". With a family, there is little appeal to the 7off schedule, but significant downside to working every other weekend.

Just how common are M-F positions as a hospitalist? I know they say that there is a job for every desired schedule, but just how common is that in today's job climate? How realistic is it maintaining that kind of schedule long-term?

Members don't see this ad.

The only way I’ve seen that happen is when our clinic attendings pick up a few weeks a year of inpatient M-F.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current PGY-2 gearing up for impending clinical practice in a year. Have children and have begun my job search, but just see a smattering of 7/7 postings, or "flexibility allowed". With a family, there is little appeal to the 7off schedule, but significant downside to working every other weekend.

Just how common are M-F positions as a hospitalist? I know they say that there is a job for every desired schedule, but just how common is that in today's job climate? How realistic is it maintaining that kind of schedule long-term?
Our day hospitalists work blocks of 3 to 5 days. Never longer than 5 in a row.
We have a rehab in our health system that a hospitalist works M-F there...unicorn type job for those who prioritize the family life..rare but exists, all they do is medicine consults 9-5p.

Your best bet is primary care and work 4 days a week and have all your weekends off

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve seen academic places that do this setup with like one weekend a month. Much fewer days off than 7 on though

Reactions: 1 user
This is what I've started to notice, and to be honest, what I expected. The issue is that I just don't enjoy primary care, which is why I've been wavering between just dropping my hat in the fellowship bucket (I'm prepared for this if need be), or just finally joining the workforce.

Reactions: 1 user