Hospitalist signing bonus numbers 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bd4727

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone know mgma or other reputable data for median hospitalist signing bonus in the couple of years?

I can find various articles online referencing stuff but nothing from a large survey dataset

Members don't see this ad.

anyone know mgma or other reputable data for median hospitalist signing bonus in the couple of years?

I can find various articles online referencing stuff but nothing from a large survey dataset

I've not seen anything on signing bonuses. My friend signed at the beginning of his 2nd year of residency and got 30K.
I signed in my 3rd year and got 20 K.
Other job offers I saw varied from 6K to 15K.

In the interim I was able to get the 2017 mgma Data and median is 20-25k fyi

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

50K started in 2017, signed contract in 2016. My observation is: It's either low salary w/ large bonus or vice versa. Pay depends on geographic location. Otherwise, it all comes out to the same numbers.

Merrit Hawkins publishes annual reports which include average sign on bonus information. It is based "on a sample of 3,045 permanent physician and advanced practitioner. See page 14 of the 2018 report: average signing bonus was $33,707. Now, it is an average number across all the specialties.

When I signed my first hospitalist contract in 2012, my bonus was $20K. I know for a fact that you can negotiate and ask for a higher bonus if they pay you less than average. You can refer them to the report I mentioned above to prove your point. It did work for me in the past.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
It's difficult to compare signing bonuses, because it depends upon what's "included". Some of my residents have gotten large signing bonuses, but don't have moving expenses reimbursed (because moving expenses were considered part of the bonus), and then if you decide to move yourself you save lots of $$. (But reimbursed moving expenses are non-taxable).

Reactions: 1 user