Hospitalist urban market saturation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmatme

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across the following article and found it surprising. I know the pharmacist job market is bad, but never expected hospitalist market to be bad also. Is the article true? For example in New York City, is just that hospitalist are getting offers, but not the shifts or salary they want?

http://www.todayshospitalist.com/index.php?b=articles_read&cnt=852

Members don't see this ad.

Mediocrity only knows its own level, just shows how crappy some hospitalist medical care has been; from the article:

"A high bar on quality

-- In Southern California, HealthCare Partners—a physician-owned multispecialty group with more than 80 hospitalists serving more than 15 facilities—is facing saturation in what Tyler Jung, MD, the hospitalist program’s medical director, calls “the more desirable areas.”

-- Hospitals in Miami have also reached saturation, says Tomas Villanueva, DO, director of the 25-physician hospitalist group at Baptist Hospital. Because most physicians who grow up in Florida have to train elsewhere, many are eager to return after residency. But many now find hospital medicine opportunities, at least in Miami, few and far between.

According to Dr. Villanueva, he has been sending the CVs of promising candidates to other program directors for more than a year. But the quality bar is now so high that among the recruits that he occasionally interviews, he finds very few who he considers to be strong candidates.

“We find a lot of people who want to leave private practice or come out of residency for a job that pays well and has a good work/life balance,” Dr. Villanueva says. The problem? They’re not strong communicators, leaders or patient-safety advocates.

“They may roll their eyes when you mention patient satisfaction scores or the need to call primary care physicians post-discharge,” he explains. While at one time his hiring criteria consisted of finding “physicians with a pulse,” he admits, he and his team now insist on “the right people.”

Hopefully, the weeding out of the paycheck/lifestyle/Millennial-aged dregs will continue...

Wait since when was it a bad thing to call PCPs post discharge? At the least you just leave a message and fax a DC summary (which in a lot of hospitals occurs automatically). Do people really take issue with that? My attending usually does this when I'm on service. I do think patient satisfaction scores are a pretty awful metric to judge doctors against though.

Good for them not tolerating crappy medicine in any case

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully, the weeding out of the paycheck/lifestyle/Millennial-aged dregs will continue...

In my experience its the old farts that have major communication issues. Either with nursing, patients or allied health professionals.

Many of them haven't quite gotten the memo that it isn't the 1950s anymore.

In my experience its the old farts that have major communication issues. Either with nursing, patients or allied health professionals.

Well, you could be right there... but "we old farts" wouldn't be caught dead working as a hospitalist. :) Anyway, I'm referencing the kind of millennial doctors that whine aloud endlessly about everything that irritates them concerning life in medicine. And, I'm all for weeding out job opportunities for mediocre doctors of any age.

So you've met my ICU attending...

Well I had no trouble interviewing for multiple positions in Dallas when I came out which is later than that article that was published in 2009.