Hospitalist vs Primary Care "Tracks" in certain Residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeikoTanaka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I've just been looking into various IM programs around the country and I'm wondering how these tracks truly dictate your future. For example, I was thinking about doing Hospitalist work for a few years after residency then moving into PCP work. Will these tracks cater too much towards one, disabling me from switching in the future? What would the route be to switch in the future if I wanted to? Also, how does family medicine residency fit into all this? I know FM is also allowed to be hospitalists...

Just for reference the program I was looking at is Maine Medical Center, where they offer IM Residency (PCT and Hospitalist track) and seperately FM residency. So how do these jobs truly dictate where you can work in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

You can get more information by searching for threads that already exist (written by people far more knowledgeable than I am), but the quick answer is this:

Family medicine trains you in the care of adults and children, as well as some ob-gyn, whereas internal medicine will train you in caring for adults only.
Depending on where you practice will dictate the scope of your practice as a family medicine physician- for example, in big cities that are saturated with many providers, family medicine doctors usually don’t see ob-gyn patients; people needing those services will see an ob-gyn. More rural and/or underserved areas may utilize a different practice model, but again, there are other threads about this that contain way more than I know.
At the end of the day, however, the majority of your training in a family medicine residency will train you to practice outpatient, primary care medicine. The vast majority of hospitalists are IM trained. Yes, I am sure there are anecdotal stories of FM-trained hospitalists, but this is not the case for the most part. If you are pretty sure you want to spend at least some time as a hospitalist, FM is not the best choice as a residency.

As far as IM goes, yes, the tracks can prepare you somewhat differently. If you choose a primary care track in IM, you’ll typically have more outpatient/ambulatory time than people in traditional tracks, but it’s usually during the time you’d normally have elective, so lots of times, PC-IM tracks still offer the same amount and caliber of inpatient training as the traditional track. However, you have less elective time (which people usually use to explore subspecialties and/or work on research projects, both of which are preparation for fellowship application). Again, I’m sure you can find anecdotal stories of people who did a PC-IM track and went on to get into a cardiology fellowship, but it’s still not a plan to count on. At my institution, they suggest not doing the PC track if you’re unsure about pursuing a fellowship in the future. Nonetheless, if you do a PC track in IM, you can do what some physicians do, and have a primary care practice but still spend some months of the year attending as a hospitalist.

Traditional IM will leave you the most options. From here, you can go on to subspecialize or become a generalist (inpatient and/or outpatient).

Hope this helps. Use the search function at the top of the page for more information on FM vs IM, training as a hospitalist, training to be a PCP, etc.
good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much, this was actually super helpful, and kind of made me rethink family medicine as an option. I definitely want as many options as possible in the future, but Subspecialties don’t necessarily interest me, do PC-IM tracks train you well with kids at all?

PC-IM are only adults, just like a regular categorical IM track. If you are interested in seeing everyone except OB patients but want the option to explore subspecialties if you later change your mind, then you should look into Peds-IM dual residencies.

The default IM residency prepares your for hospitalist work, so an IM "hospitalist track" is redundant

Agreed. It's an answer to a problem that no one needed. There's often a bunch of poorly conceived QI stuff baked into the hospitalist tracks but few hospitalists in real life do meaningful QI work.

Categorical IM leaves open the most options for adult medicine. PC tracks offer more elective time in outpatient medicine so you can learn how to do injections and paps or hone your MSK skills. That's easily attainable if you do categorical medicine and doesn't shoehorn you into PC if you don't want that.

Hey all, so I've just been looking into various IM programs around the country and I'm wondering how these tracks truly dictate your future. For example, I was thinking about doing Hospitalist work for a few years after residency then moving into PCP work. Will these tracks cater too much towards one, disabling me from switching in the future? What would the route be to switch in the future if I wanted to? Also, how does family medicine residency fit into all this? I know FM is also allowed to be hospitalists...

Just for reference the program I was looking at is Maine Medical Center, where they offer IM Residency (PCT and Hospitalist track) and seperately FM residency. So how do these jobs truly dictate where you can work in the future?

I did categorical track and switched to hospitalist 2nd year. Only difference was that categorical got a month of research elective, hospitalist got a 2 week as a hospitalist with qi, primary care had a month of community medicine in a free clinic (F-that). It's all similar to standard

I did categorical track and switched to hospitalist 2nd year. Only difference was that categorical got a month of research elective, hospitalist got a 2 week as a hospitalist with qi, primary care had a month of community medicine in a free clinic (F-that). It's all similar to standard
Cool, but you don't foresee a problem going from your hospitalist track to becoming a PCP later on, do you? (If that was ever something you'd want to do)

Cool, but you don't foresee a problem going from your hospitalist track to becoming a PCP later on, do you? (If that was ever something you'd want to do)

This is rarely an issue. Medicine residency prepares you to do general outpatient medicine as well as inpatient. If you want to spend more time doing outpatient electives you usually have the opportunity. You need to know outpatient medicine for your boards. You also need to know decent outpatient mgmt to do well as a hospitalist otherwise you won’t necessarily learn evidence based medicine... e.g. starting HF meds as inpatient so that when patient sees their PCP they can uptitrate the meds

You can always read up on it if you decide to find a PCP job