Hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Make Or Break

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to know if family medicine trained physicians can go on to find and do hospitalist work without any problems. I am getting a little worried because I have been told by multiple other physicians trained in other specialities (IM, neurology, peds) that FM has a hard time doing hospitalist work or finding a job after residency.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to work in a big city, you'll probably have trouble. If you're willing to work an hour outside of a big city, there are plenty of hospitalist jobs that accept FM trained physicians.

Google hospitalist jobs in the area you are interested in and see whether they accept BE FM or not, most posting I've looked at seem to mention what boards they accept or are explicitly clear if they want IM only

Reactions: 1 user
Like all things with family medicine, you’re never as qualified as someone else that focuses in the area you are practicing. However, the usefulness of your competitions additional training is always debatable, political, and varies widely. No hospital that I’ve heard of will deny a fresh FM grad the ability to admit his own patients. However, scope of practice battles will come. There’s always turf to fight for and family medicine is constantly losing as other specialties specialize themselves out of being irreplaceable.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's job-dependent, not training-dependent (e.g., institutional bias). My group doesn't discriminate.

In my group that I signed a contract with, they actually encourage new grads to see their own patients in the hospital.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

There are tons of opportunities in relatively rural areas. You should consider cold calling a few hospitals within a reasonable driving distance to work their weekend hospitalist shifts. Garuntee if the several hospitals around me took a call they'd bite.

Whoever told you that you’ll have difficulty finding a job as family medicine is dead wrong. You will have more offers at interviews all over the country than you know what to do with.

As far as hospitalist, it’s definitely possible. I’m in the Northeast in a large city and my hospital system hires FM as hospitalists.
I also get lots of email job offers for FM hospitalists in different parts of the country, more in the Midwest though.

In my locations of interest, FM plus two years of experience as a hospitalist is equivalent to or better than a new IM grad, in hospitalist job listings, even in major cities. Should you plan to get hired as a hospitalist at a major city private hospital, as an FM? No, of course not. Should you reasonably expect to find a hospitalist job in or near a big city at a smaller hospital or a safety net? Sure, maybe not immediately after graduation. Should you be using your electives during residency to buff your inpatient credentials, if that's the work you want? Yup. Should you try to get your first hospitalist gig after graduation by building on relationships you've created during residency, maybe instead of throwing your CV to the wind? Of course, consider that. Is it easier sometimes to get in as a nocturnist? Yes. Should you be ready with central line numbers and intubation numbers and target your search to jobs where the ICU is open and they specifically ask for procedures? If that's what you want, yes, if not, no.

The information you want is out there. Look at the job listings for hospitalists. Look at hospitals. Look at hospitalist consulting firms. Where are those jobs? What experience are they asking for? Are there FM's listed as hospitalists at hospitals in towns you want to live in? All this info can be found without too much effort. I like practicelink for identifying employers, and I like wikipedia for finding hospitals in regions I like, and I like hospital/employer websites for job requirements.

As others have said, there's no shortage of hospitalist jobs. You can easily get set up for locums and figure out your preferences on the job after graduation.

I think in general that hospitals are stunned that they've been able to get people to work as hospitalists. Good lord why would anybody want such anonymous shift work where you're not caring for your "own" patients and you're just an admits&orders monkey? Well, turns out there's a sizeable IM/FM population that DOESN'T care for the outpatient part, doesn't need an 8-5 job, prefers doing 12-14 hour shifts in order to get more days off, doesn't need every single weekend off, etc. In my experience, before med school if you had told me I'd end up an FM hospitalist, I wouldn't have gone to med school at all. Yuck. But now that I've WORKED with hospitalists, IM and FM, been inspired by them, seen what consistent and professional inpatient care looks like, in a challenging environment, I'm 180 degrees from my premed understanding. Turns out my "primary care for the underserved" mission IS intact as a hospitalist.