Hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRNickiTay

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of an IM program that was geared more towards hopsital versues clinical. I think both are important. I have been talking to some internist that work fora national hopsitalist group and there has been some talk about a fellowship for hospitalist in the making. Does anyone know any more about this?

Thanks,

Nichole

Members don't see this ad.

i think ucsf was talking about setting up a hospitalist fellowship.
could be wrong

I am just wondering what the need would be for an actual fellowship for to be a hospitalist.

Anyway, the only thing I know is that if you want to be a hospitalist, you just tailor your electives for more hospitalist type of work, and don't opt for the services where you spend your time with a doc in his office. That's all I've heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's a very good question. many hospitalist positions require ICU coverage, so presumably they would train you more extensively in use of hemodynamics and pressors. also more surgical icu and possibly burn issues which probably most medicine residents don't see as much of.

There already are several IM programs that offer hospitalist fellowships out there. Most, if not all of them, are relatively new programs, and it definitely isn't necessary to complete a fellowship to become a hospitalist doc. If you train in a university setting, you will probably see enough to make you a decent hospitalist doc. Interestingly, many academic centers are moving towards having more and more hospitalists on staff to handle their inpatient stuff. I think that splitting in patient and out patient work is a great idea. It's like abandoning the old housecall tradition, it's just not efficient for a doc to drive from hospital to hospital to see 1-2 patients anymore.

I understand the efficiency point, but what bout the trade off in continuity of care when there is an out-patient MD/in-patient MD? Anyone with experience out there with an opinion on this?