double elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2000
Missouri, USA
Visit site
Status
I will be an intern come July. There will be 10 of us. We just found out that our hospital will be getting 2 hospitalists in August. Now, it's just the typical month-to-month rotation thing - with the IM guys rounding before and/or after clinic.

These two docs coming both did critical care fellowships and will be employees of the hospital (from what I am hearing). I guess I am wondering how all that works. For example, if we are on a certain attendings service - will we still report to the hospitalist since he is in house? I mean, our patients now all have their own docs....where does the hospitalist fit in?

Do the hospitalists serve kind of like "professional interns" that care for all patients if the need arises? Do the attendings trust these docs to make decisions for their patients?

I don't know if my questions make sense or not....I am essentially starting from nothing regarding what I know about hospitalists. Any info would be great.

dr_almondjoy_do

So Very Happy to Be Here!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 10, 2003
New York
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
From what I see at the hospital I am currenty rotating at, the hospitalist basically handles all the inpatient stuff for the service patients. These are patients with either no insurance or that have physicians with no priveledges at the hospital.

There are currently 6 that split all the service patients. There schedules are:
3 weeks day shift
1 week overnight (7pm-7am)
5 weeks of friday saturday sunday
10 days off
Q3-4 short call (7am-7pm)

When they have day shift, they basically see their patients and are done for the day.

Since my hospital has no medical teaching service this time of year, I follow the hospitalist along with one other student and an intern. We basically split the patient list (which is anywhere from 10-20 patients) and go from there. We then round on them and finish up the day with walk rounds in the afternoon.

Here is a website on hospitalists:

www.hospitalist.net

It's so funny that you asked, b/c I came on here to find information on hospitalists, and ended up providing what I just learned this morning by doing internet searches!

the citizen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2004
Status
Who knows, you can always ask the PD.

I have seen some places with a hospitalist service that takes all the boring cases (bogus chest pain etc). Others where the hospitalists are the attending on the wards.

double elle said:
I will be an intern come July. There will be 10 of us. We just found out that our hospital will be getting 2 hospitalists in August. Now, it's just the typical month-to-month rotation thing - with the IM guys rounding before and/or after clinic.

These two docs coming both did critical care fellowships and will be employees of the hospital (from what I am hearing). I guess I am wondering how all that works. For example, if we are on a certain attendings service - will we still report to the hospitalist since he is in house? I mean, our patients now all have their own docs....where does the hospitalist fit in?

Do the hospitalists serve kind of like "professional interns" that care for all patients if the need arises? Do the attendings trust these docs to make decisions for their patients?

I don't know if my questions make sense or not....I am essentially starting from nothing regarding what I know about hospitalists. Any info would be great.