Hospitalists involvment in Onc & Onc PT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncomine

citizen of the med world
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
'sup

I'm interested in onc but don't know how I'd handle death, end-of-life issues on a weekly basis thus I also think about working as an internist / hospitalist - but would like to be invovled in cancer research and to some extent patient care. I know certain cacner centers MDA, MSKCC have oncologist hospitalist but was wondering if any body else had *other* experience/examples with internists caring for cancer patients in any capacity?

Are there areas of onc where you can deal less with critical/dying patients - can one choose to handle only the most "curable" cases somehow?

With that said, is there any flexibility about choosing what one's patient (cancer) population is? Wether in private practice or large centers...

Lastly, googling oncology jobs is sort of info-overload. Any solid web sites any body can suggest?
I'd like to work full-time for a few years then move to an 60 or 80% schedule, but am not sure how common or available these are.

I'd like to do research and teach also but I know the academic branch pays less from what I read.

This forumn has been helpful for the most part, thanks to those who take time to impart what they know

:)

Members don't see this ad.