Hospitals and Podiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Agape

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know Pods are on call at hospitals, what are some of the craziest things you all have seen? And is there any typical thing that Pods are called into to do at hospitals?

Members don't see this ad.

This will be interesting to hear, but I have another question too. In smaller hospitals, do you all think it's feasible to have podiatry take foot and ankle call-be it ER (trauma, diabetic, etc) or inpatient consult? The reason I ask is one of the podiatrists I've shadowed said he'd love to take call from the ER (he already does for inpatients), but he's just too busy. So my next question was do you see this occuring or is this something that will have to be worked out with the Ortho's? Thanks.

I know Pods are on call at hospitals, what are some of the craziest things you all have seen? And is there any typical thing that Pods are called into to do at hospitals?

It really seems to depend on the hospital and the arrangement made.

The most usual thing is for foot infections (ie - diabetics) to be I and D'd.

Some places call pods for ankle fx and all other foot trauma. Some have an everyother day arrangement (odds and evens) that ortho and pods switch on and off so everyone gets their numbers. (ortho does not have numbers to meet)

Gun shot wounds to the plantar foot, while the guy was walking to church at midnight (not christmas eve) - sarcasm. (you'll learn that the GSW victim are always minding their own business)

Wet gangrene is always fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gas gangrene is a blast too.

absolutely - who wouldn't love gas gangrenes...the smell will always leave a notable mark in the memories of every patient, nurse, attending, resident, and staff worker who merely happens to be on the same floor as the gangrene patient.

Yes, a lot of diabetic foot infections. Craziest things I've seen in my short career:

1) A woman tries to commit suicide by jumping off of a 40 foot bridge onto a busy freeway and sustains only b/l calcaneal fractures (no other injuries).

2) Cousin "A" brings cousin "B" into the ER with a gunshot wound to the foot which requires surgery on Christmas Eve. Cousin "A" stated that he was cleaning the gun and accidentally shot Cousin "B" in the foot.
A few weeks later, while Cousin "A" is coming out of general anesthesia from his own unrelated foot surgery, he states that cousin "B" actually was carrying the gun and accidentally shot himself. But as cousin "B" was on probation and would have gone to jail, he took the rap for him. Now that is family! Lesson learned: If you have any deep, dark secrets, don't go under general! :laugh:

I had a guy with a Acetabulum, floating knee and a open pilon who was hit by a green camaro who swore the driver was a member of the Taliban. Must have been the Midwest IROC division of the Taliban.

I had a guy with a Acetabulum, floating knee and a open pilon who was hit by a green camaro who swore the driver was a member of the Taliban. Must have been the Midwest IROC division of the Taliban.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Im just a third year so my experience is extremely limited. I am currently rotating at the county hosiptal. Today I scrubbed in on an ankle fracture of a 28 year old woman who does not remember how she broke it. Lauge-Hansen SER type 4. Actually, the fibula was busted in 3 places so it doesnt exactly fit into the classification but it was certainly a Danis-Weber type C. Anyway, her father got a call at 3am from her and she said that she fell and twisted her ankle. He took her to the ER (podiatry took the call) and she could not remember anything. Im not sure how. it looked like she fell, and then someone took a baseball bat to her ankle.

My lime light was probably the night I pulled 104 maggots out of a calcaneal ulcer(yes I counted, give or take a few!).

My lime light was probably the night I pulled 104 maggots out of a calcaneal ulcer(yes I counted, give or take a few!).

I am assuming that these were not medical maggots. And if that is true that is fn nasty.

I am amazed as I shadows pods and orthos at the horrid physical state of some peoples feet! how do you let something become such a huge problem? I know about the general fear of medical personel and money problems but heck to pull maggots. I heard a doctor talking about something similar in his residency that someone came in 3 days after shooting part(1/3) of his thigh off. He had hoped it would heal over!:eek: Anyhow I guess that's part of the fun. have a safe weekend to all.

Heck the maggots were doing their job. They are basically a VAC without the insurance hassles.