1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Hospitals In Ohio

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by UHS2005_2, Sep 23, 2002.

1. UHS2005_2

UHS2005_2 Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone have experience with the hospital systems in Ohio, namely St. Vincents in Toledo Ohio. What are the +/- about the sites. How often are you first assist, housing, etc

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UHS2005_2

UHS2005_2 Member
    7+ Year Member

4. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Though I never rotated there, I visited the institution when I interviewed for EM residencies. The EM program in particular is very strong...the weak point is the city of Toledo itelf, blech!
    Overall, it is a large hospital with DO medstudents and MD students from MCO.
    Good luck.

5. avendesora

avendesora Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just finished my inpatient peds at St V's.

Overall, I enjoyed being at this hospital. It's not huge, but is good sized and was always busy.

They have a strong partnership with the Medical College of Ohio (my school), and as such, MCO students rotate through IM, Surg, and Peds. Also, I'm not sure what the exact arrangement is, but residents go back and forth between MCO hospital and St V's. All the residents I worked with in Peds and Med/Peds were really great.

Unfortunately, there is strong competition in Toledo between St. V's/Mercy Health and Toledo Hospital/ProMedica. Specifically in Peds, this reduces the volume of patients.

What field were you looking at?

Also, as has been said, the major downside is Toledo itself. It's a smaller, very blue-collar town. I feel sometimes we're living about 5 years behind the curve in terms of culture/technology/trends. Just one example, broadband internet access has just in the last year or so become widely available here.

Hope this helps.

6. UHS2005_2

UHS2005_2 Member
    7+ Year Member