Hospitals that blacklist students that withdraw from away rotations??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saradoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard rumors that some programs blacklist people that withdraw from a scheduled away rotation, even if its over a month before the rotation start. Is this true? Any programs famous for this? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard rumors that some programs blacklist people that withdraw from a scheduled away rotation, even if its over a month before the rotation start. Is this true? Any programs famous for this? thanks

****, hope not, lol.

not true, in my own experience. I applied for an away month but I was only given 2 weeks rotation time. I withdrew my application and I still got an interview there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure it happens some places. These months are valuable to the schools too, as they allow them to audition candidates for residency. If you withdraw and they can't fill your spot, it's pretty annoying to the program director.

Don't believe everything that you "hear". Plenty of medical students change their minds about away rotations mostly for financial reasons as the year wears on.