Hot Damn Netters is Expensive!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Entol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Geez, I was looking around for a gross anatomy atlas that was reasonably priced, and the recommended one-- netters-- is $120+ on Amazon! We're students on a budget.. why don't publishers understand? :(

Can I buy the CD instead or is it required that I lug a book around? Is there a cheaper place to buy a used book? Can we just burn the CD or something, maybe download it?

-Entol

Members don't see this ad.

Some med schools offer deals where if you join certain organizations (like AMSA at my school), they will give a free copy of Netter. Don't purchase one until school starts, you may be able to purchase a copy from an upperclassman too.

dude, I don't know where you're looking, but Netters is about $60. The hardcover version is more, but you don't need to spend that kind of money.

p.s. you need a book, because you'd have to be crazy to study anatomy on computer.
p.p.s. Netter is one of the few books you may end up keeping after medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, you get it free for joining AMSA. Now comes the conservative people saying you should go ahead and pay 120$ rather than give $$$ to AMSA.

Entol said:
Geez, I was looking around for a gross anatomy atlas that was reasonably priced, and the recommended one-- netters-- is $120+ on Amazon! We're students on a budget.. why don't publishers understand? :(

Can I buy the CD instead or is it required that I lug a book around? Is there a cheaper place to buy a used book? Can we just burn the CD or something, maybe download it?

-Entol

www.ebay.com
www.half.com
www.walmart.com
www.campusi.com

shop around.

Ahh, I saw that I was in fact looking at the hardcover edition. I guess this is a worthwhile deal, but still if it's free at the beginning of medical school for joining some organization, maybe it's better to wait. Thanks for the quick replies!

doc05 said:
dude, I don't know where you're looking, but Netters is about $60. The hardcover version is more, but you don't need to spend that kind of money.

p.s. you need a book, because you'd have to be crazy to study anatomy on computer.
p.p.s. Netter is one of the few books you may end up keeping after medical school.

You definitely want to get netter's. It's great and you'll probably keep it even after the class is over. My advice is get one free for joining amsa or buy one from an upperclassmen.

KyGrlDr2B said:
You definitely want to get netter's. It's great and you'll probably keep it even after the class is over. My advice is get one free for joining amsa or buy one from an upperclassmen.

Whats the deal? I joined AMSA and all I've gotten for it is one edition of the magazine.

you'll get a free one for joining AMSA and getting the credit card (which everyone gets, just never activate). but it wouldn't be a bad idea to scour ebay and half.com for a used, cheap netter for anatomy lab (after it gets doused in formaldehyde a couple of times, you'll understand why you don't want to use just one).

Netter's is definitely worth it. The soft-cover version, though.

Wait 'til you look at Harrison's. :)

nutmegs said:
you had to apply for their credit card too
Aha. OK, I passed on the CC. Have enough of them. And, a netters.

Blade28 said:
Netter's is definitely worth it. The soft-cover version, though.

Wait 'til you look at Harrison's. :)

A Great workout aid (just moving the sucker). I got a great deal on a 15th ed Harrisons, brand new in the box, on E-bay last year for $45. Such a deal I couldn't pass up.

Members don't see this ad :)
flighterdoc said:
A Great workout aid (just moving the sucker). I got a great deal on a 15th ed Harrisons, brand new in the box, on E-bay last year for $45. Such a deal I couldn't pass up.

Damn! Brand new? You scored! I think it cost me around $120. :(

At my school we get Netter's and Harrison's for free from our alumni association! That's a sweet deal.

Wait until you hit Derm. $150 for Habif

I used Fitzpatrick for derm - smaller and cheaper

try looking for books online- often times you can find them up to half off!
I have used www.textbookx.com, amazon also has a used section, and sometimes on ebay.

Green912 said:
Wait until you hit Derm. $150 for Habif

Most expensive textbook I've seen so far...

Kaplan & Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry

MSRP: $279!!! :eek:

hey guys get netters,sabotta and gray's anatomy CD's all together because in this way u can get the precise information about anatomy.

for just 30 $ plus 6 $ shipping isn't it worth? to become a good doctor.
mail me at [email protected]

I'm not a member of MDConsult so I couldn't look at it, but I would suggest comparing the site with a reference copy of Habif in your library. If the information is comparable and you can access it when you need then pocket the money and buy more coffee grounds. Unless Derm is your thing paying $150 for a few weeks is a bit much. Like someone above suggested there are cheaper books out there that will do just fine in your own reference library. Good luck.

angle said:
hey guys get netters,sabotta and gray's anatomy CD's all together because in this way u can get the precise information about anatomy.

for just 30 $ plus 6 $ shipping isn't it worth? to become a good doctor.
mail me at [email protected]

Grays? Does anyone actually use it?

I notice that angle is posting from Romania. From my limited interaction from other European trained physicians and professors, their anatomy training seems to be at the PhD level and extends over a number of years. That would explain the use of Gray's.

flighterdoc said:
Grays? Does anyone actually use it?

I'm using Gray's Anatomy unbridged edition and Netter's. Gray's is excellent since Netter's is only illustration not really explaining in detail what each section is about. I read Gray's and follow along in Netter's.

In my school, we don't use cadaver's, so I have to depend upon Gray's to make sense of it all. Otherwise it's just sheer memorization and that's a weak spot for me.