1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Hot Topics In Dentistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by FunkDocta, Oct 25, 2002.

1. FunkDocta

FunkDocta Member

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone can fill me in on some issues going on in the field of dentistry. I feel like I don't know enough that is going on at the moment, and would like to prepare better in case I get asked at an interview...

Also, do these kinds of questions get asked frequently at interviews?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AcidETCH

AcidETCH UPENN SDM '07

Don't know if it's a common question at interviews. Only thing that I can think of is Forensic Dentistry because of 9/11. Law enforcement people are gonna need some way of identifying victims, and usually dental records are looked at. Could anyone else give feedback on this? Another area is dental materials. There are a lot of new materials that are being developed to assist in dental procedures. Computers technology is also making an impact in the dental profession and will probably become a significant aspect of dentistry. Those are the only ones that I can think of for now.

+pissed+
    ahahh

4. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member

Stem cell research, some scientist able to grow new tooth from mice....this can replace denture in the future

5. tinker bell

tinker bell 1K Member

Geriatric dentistry.
    As the baby boomer grow old and the population average age shift. People who live longer, older and need a different version of dental care. Yeah, growing teeth in cell culture is one big thing. Preventive and restorative are also shifting to another direction. Do your research and you will find it's so surprise how interesting dental research can be
    Good luck
    T

6. EcoRI

EcoRI Senior Member

Dentist
    I'm not really sure how hot the topic is but I think there is a concern about people now drinking lots of bottled water that contains no fluoride.

7. SMDdent

SMDdent Member

Just heard of this one at my Boston interview this morning - the future of digital 3-D technology. My interviewer is part of a research team that is developing a 3-D imaging scanner that will scan the contours of a patient's tooth and translate the image into a ceramic crown. No impressions necessary. I thought this was very interesting. And of course there's also the hot topic of tooth cloning, as someone already mentioned.