Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

hot vs. cold

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cantmakeupmind, Feb 15, 2007.

1. cantmakeupmind

Pre-Medical
    so im deciding between university of miami and temple for next year.

im from miami, so i know how fabulous and wonderful people think the city of miami is (it definitely has its moments). and i went to college where there is actually a winter (not 50 degree cold fronts), so that doesnt scare me....

however im more concerned about curriculum, experience, education, and opportunities within the two schools. any advice?

2. NovemberWhiskey

NovemberWhiskey Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Miami >>> Phily

3. Funky

Funky This space is for sale
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i dont know much about the schools themselves but locationwise, miami would be a better place to be for 4 years. I vote for the U

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Miami no contest!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Miami, Miami, Miami and Miami, respectively....

6. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!
    2+ Year Member

didn't read through the thread, so i don't know if anybody's mentioned this, but:

miami!!!

7. KaraKiz

KaraKiz I'm Ron Burgundy?
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Miami. Hands down.

8. RAD11

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  9. Mr. Tee

Mr. Tee Indentured servant
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Miami.

And for the hot vs cold question....hot definitely. Warm sunny beach >>> cold mountains.

10. TPROrgoTutor2

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd prefer the cold but think Miami is a better school.

11. greg1184

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would take Miami simply for the campus's environment. Jackson Memorial Hospital is one of the best, most diverse hospitals in the country. You often see things there you don't see in other places. The weather is great too, especially for a golfer like myself.

12. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    pfuh. I totally thought this thread was going to be about hot and cold humoral beliefs of health...

13. chad5871

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I prefer the cold. Having a Swedish heritage and being born in Pennsylvania will do that to you!

But I would still pick Miami...

14. MomTo2Boys

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Um...

I know nothing of the two as *schools* but I have standing to comment on living in Florida as I have lived here pretty much my whole entire life (I'm 32 years old).

You need to understand that if you live in Miami that you very well may be in for some hurricanes. Hurricane season is very long and is quite often very emotional and can be very frightening. My home has been hit by four hurricanes and it is an awful, AWFUL experience. With three of them we lost power for more than five days (each time). We own our home and are not campus based students ~ I feel horrible for students at a school in the path of a hurricane for I cannot imagine the process for them. By the time the school says you can evacuate, there is probably nowhere for you to go. All hotels in Florida will be booked ~ all the gasoline will be gone ~ all the flights will be taken or cancelled ~ it's really horrible. And the further south (like Miami) the worse it is for then you have longer to go to get to somewhere safe.

Also, please do not underestimate the heat. The heat is brutal and unrelenting. If you have never lived somewhere like that before you may find it to be overwhelming. You cannot, you simply CANNOT go and visit anywhere in Florida in the winter months and think that this is what you will be getting.

True, this is coming from someone who is desperately trying to get out of Florida (but our house won't sell in this terrible market) but I am also a seasoned Florida resident. Please don't think it's all sunglasses and coconut oil down here.

15. theDOCTORINATOR

theDOCTORINATOR Membership Revoked
    Removed

HMMN...lets see.......girls wearing trenchcoats/scarves year round or girls wearing next to nothing year round....

BTW: this only would make sense if you were a guy.

16. novawildcat

novawildcat Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Miami is probably one of the worst cities I have ever been too, and I am not saying that because I am a Philly homer. Miami is absolutely bursting at the seems with drug dealers at every corner. The women in Miami are gorgeous, but phony and only after money. Miami U is definitely the better school though. Walking around the neighborhood near Temple would definitely make you more street smart though. Philly is not a pretty city if that is what you are looking for. It is a blue collar, hard working, and gritty place. Philly is also only 1.5 hrs from NYC, DC, Baltimore, and Atlantic City. Boston can also be reached in a day trip, so if there are any major concerts/events/friends/family that you would like to go to in one of those cities, they would easily be accessible.

17. Funky

Funky This space is for sale
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    humblemd you nerd :D

18. ShoujoKakumei

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I personally really like Philadelphia and cold and the northeast, and hate the heat and the south and even the _concept_ of being in a hurricane in Miami. I would also never want to be more than a train ride away from my beloved New York City. :laugh:

I don't know anything about those schools med-school wise, but I considered Temple for undergrad and it was a nice place for that. (I ended up at CUNY in NYC, though, since I'm paying for it myself. x.x)