hotel/transportation to UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lily83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be coming from SFO and I called the school and they recommended taking BART to a hotel in downtown and MUNI to the school. For people who are familiar with the area, is downtown the best place to stay for the interview, taking into considering ease of transportation to the school & airport, safety, etc? How far is downtown from UCSF (I will have my interview at the medical center)? And are there any decent hotels around $70-$80 in downtown that you would recommend?

Also, which is an easier/cheaper way to get to the school, MUNI or a cab? I'm new to the area so any suggestion you have would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

ya, i think taking Muni from downtown is good because the Muni stops right outside the school. you just take an elevator up.

I am sure you can find some decent motels in downtown. just use expedia.

Well......downtown has good & bad areas. What hotel did they recommend? Downtown is about 5 miles, as the crow flies, but its about 20 min with traffic.

Not many SF hotels are less than $100/night, but if they recommended it, perhaps they'll give you a university rate.

As for MUNI - you have to be sure to get on the right line. The N-Street Judah line is the trolley which travels on Judah - one street east (down a hill) from the school (toward GG Park). However...there is an elevator which takes you up from the parking garage on Judah up to Parnassus which is the street the school is on. You just have to cross the street & you're there.

Otherwise, I think the bus line is the J Street bus (I think)...that takes you right to Parnassus. But, depending on where you stay, you may need to transfer. You can access their website online.

Admittedly, its been a long time since I've taken public transportation to the school!

Now...a cab will get you there - about $25 I think from downtown.

No matter what kind of transportation you take....plan to get there an hour early! You need time if you have gotten on the wrong bus/trolley or if you're going at a busy time....they'll pass you by. Not to worry - it gives you time to go across the street to the student union & the library & check those out. Have a cup of coffee, find the office you need to locate, use the restroom, brush your teeth, etc......

Let me know the cross streets of the hotel & I'll tell you if you're in a safe spot. I can't really imagine them recommending an unsafe place though. No matter what - you're in a big city - don't be stupid & don't carry lots of money or obvious valuable stuff.

Good luck & let me know if I can help more!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys... i actually booked my room thru priceline and got a 4-star union square hotel for 70 bucks a night. that is pretty expensive but considering its in union square and 4 star, thats actually a pretty goood deal =) so id recommend trying priceline if u guys cant find a place to stay... the only thing is if ur price does get accepted, u dont really get to choose the place u stay at. but ive tried priceline many times for SF and i havent been disappointed yet =) I'll be staying at the Hilton this time around

hey guys... i actually booked my room thru priceline and got a 4-star union square hotel for 70 bucks a night. that is pretty expensive but considering its in union square and 4 star, thats actually a pretty goood deal =) so id recommend trying priceline if u guys cant find a place to stay... the only thing is if ur price does get accepted, u dont really get to choose the place u stay at. but ive tried priceline many times for SF and i havent been disappointed yet =) I'll be staying at the Hilton this time around

Anywhere around Union Square is good & you'll be able to get on any line from there - even if its a block or two walk - still safe!

Also - lots of stuff to do around there when you're done!

The closest hotel to the school is the Carl Hotel, it is walking distance but you have to walk up a big hill (might be a workout!) From what I heard it is relatively cheap, but it is of course not a luxury hotel. You will have the Muni train run by the place every 10-15 min or so. Great idea if you want to save time. Other options are staying at the Stanyan Park Hotel, or maybe even Japantown.

The closest hotel to the school is the Carl Hotel, it is walking distance but you have to walk up a big hill (might be a workout!) From what I heard it is relatively cheap, but it is of course not a luxury hotel. You will have the Muni train run by the place every 10-15 min or so. Great idea if you want to save time. Other options are staying at the Stanyan Park Hotel, or maybe even Japantown.

the name of the hotel is the Carl Hotel? I tried searching for it on hotel.com but nothing came up.

So I narrowed it down to:

Ramada Plaza on Market St.
Powell Hotel on Cyril Magnin St.
Edwardian ST Hotel on Market St.
Grant Plaza Hotel on Grant St.
The Pickwick Hotel on 5th St.

Has anyone heard anything good/bad about any of these hotels? Also, was anyone able to get a university discount...I tried but no luck.

the name of the hotel is the Carl Hotel? I tried searching for it on hotel.com but nothing came up.

So I narrowed it down to:

Ramada Plaza on Market St.
Powell Hotel on Cyril Magnin St.
Edwardian ST Hotel on Market St.
Grant Plaza Hotel on Grant St.
The Pickwick Hotel on 5th St.

Has anyone heard anything good/bad about any of these hotels? Also, was anyone able to get a university discount...I tried but no luck.

i actually booked Ramada Plaza. From the reviews online, they all looked good. So I hope it turns out okay.... which interview date did you get?

How long do the interviews last?
My interview is at 12:00 and my flight departs at 4:30, so I wanna make sure that I leave on time. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until 10:30pm to depart..........and I have nothing to do in the bay for that long :(

If you're a hot chick, I'd offer my room, but my mama might ask questions. :) Since the MUNI (N Judah line) stops RIGHT in front of UCSF, you can stay at any hotel on the N Judah line. That extends everywhere from Sunset district (near Ocean beach) to downtown. Go google muni and check out the N Judah route.

But yes, Union Square is definitely a great choice since Powell station is right next to the shopping centers. The day before the interview, you can visit the heart of SF and do some shopping. But the pricing might be higher.

i actually booked Ramada Plaza. From the reviews online, they all looked good. So I hope it turns out okay.... which interview date did you get?

lastemp, I'm leaning towards that one as well but some of the reviews said that Ramada Plaza is in a bad neighborhood? I have the feb 3 interview...how about you? Did they happen to give you a university discount rate?

akaykay, it should last about 2 hrs unless you want to hear about financial aid, student housing, etc but this part is optional.

eddie, uh haha....thanks for the advise :)

lastemp, I'm leaning towards that one as well but some of the reviews said that Ramada Plaza is in a bad neighborhood? I have the feb 3 interview...how about you? Did they happen to give you a university discount rate?

bad neighborhood? really....i figured it being located near Union Square would make it somewhat safe. I have feb 3 too.... are you in the morning or afternoon?

University discount.....mmmmm, didn't ask... I booked it online and got a decent price.... i think like $70 a night.... decent price if the reviews are true =)