Hotels close to Pitt--map of campus, getting around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oompa loompa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interviewing at Pitt in January, but have yet to receive any detailed instructions on how to get to the med school, where to stay, etc. In the email invite, they direct you to their site, but I didn't find any useful information on there. I didn't find anything on their admissions site (where you submitted your app) either. Am I missing something here? Do they snail-mail you info later, or should I call the office?

Members don't see this ad.

Getting to the med school from the airport: there's a shuttle bus (the 28X) that will take you directly to the med school. I stayed with a host so don't know about hotels. That was an interesting experience...anyway, good luck at your interview! :) They have a super cool simulation lab. Dummies that spurt blood left, right and center.

P.S. It's $2.25 exact change, and you want to take it to Oakland - the Forbes at Atwood stop. It'll drop you off right across the street from the Children's hospital. Look for the famous hill. :) Bring comfy shoes - it's a long tour with lots of walking. And remember to bring a picture.

...Sorry if I just sounded like a mom, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, ivy! Do they ever send you a packet of info, or do you just figure it all out yourself? I guess I've become accustomed to being spoon-fed the info! :p

My host gave me all the info - I didn't get anything from them. Let me know if you have any other questions, like getting a student host or a breakdown of interview day. Yay for having access to SDN at work =P

ivy91 said:
My host gave me all the info - I didn't get anything from them. Let me know if you have any other questions, like getting a student host or a breakdown of interview day. Yay for having access to SDN at work =P

OK, good to know. I was wondering if Pitt didn't really want to interview me hence the lack of directions! I'm driving to Pittsburgh and probably staying in a hotel, so the info I need a little different from yours. Thanks, I'll PM you if I have more questions! :)

pitt's website has directions for drivers I believe...maybe that might help you.

I stayed at the Wyndham hotel (http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/PITUP/main.wnt) and it was GREAT.

The room charge was $107, including taxes it was $121.98. The hotel is only 0.6 miles from the admissions office, but in the morning they have a shuttle that will take you there for free (which is key because going there is uphill; walking back downhill is not a problem).

Pitt doesn't mail you a brochure or email you any of this info. All they tell you is "Information on transportation, hotel accommodations, and the city of Pittsburgh are available on our website at: www.medschool.pitt.edu" in their interview invite email. They should include the actual link where I found all the information I needed for my interview:
http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/future/future_02_gethere.asp

Oh, btw, when they say it's a long tour, it really IS a long tour -- 2 hours!! And it does involve climbing the hill :p

Good luck! :luck:

thanks for the link amandil! I did visit the medschool.pitt.edu site a while ago, but my connection is so slow I didn't spend much time exploring it :laugh: . lame excuse i know, but it'd be nice to just have a hard copy sent via email or whatever.

I wish this thread existed when i interviewed at pitt. I got off at the wrong bus stop and therefore walked too many blocks to the admissions office and waltz into the office 15 mins late.

make sure you book a hotel room quickly...i got a smoking room and it was really gross.