hotels near pritzker?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterlily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those who interviewed at pritzker already, can you recommend any cheap hotels that's close to the school?

Members don't see this ad.

there really aren't any "cheap" hotels anywhere in the city of chicago. your best bet is probably like the hilton garden inn or the holiday inn, both of which will probably be a $10-$15 cab ride...OR...you could stay at a hotel near whichever airport you're coming into and then take the el to the interview...keep in mind, that's a LONG el ride though.

my suggestion would be to stay somewhere downtown and take a cab...the two hotels i mentioned are probably your best bet. hyatt has a few nice hotels in the city too.

yeah it's better if you stay with a student. Hyde Park can be tough to figure out. Around the school and near the campus it's nice but if you go anywhere west or south of the school, you're kind in the roughest area of Chicago. You can always check out bed and breakfast places. Google them. They're not too expensive and near campus most of the time. I don't remember there being any hotels though close to campus. You'll need to stay near the lake and take the 171, 172, 173, 55 in.

Members don't see this ad :)
jbrice1639 said:
there really aren't any "cheap" hotels anywhere in the city of chicago. your best bet is probably like the hilton garden inn or the holiday inn, both of which will probably be a $10-$15 cab ride...OR...you could stay at a hotel near whichever airport you're coming into and then take the el to the interview...keep in mind, that's a LONG el ride though.

my suggestion would be to stay somewhere downtown and take a cab...the two hotels i mentioned are probably your best bet. hyatt has a few nice hotels in the city too.
congress plaza hotel is prolly one of the cheapest hotels downtown....but personally, if you are interviewing at pritzker, I wouldnt recommend staying downtown, unless you plan on waking up super early to beat the downtown rush hour traffic...trust me, it is pretty rough.

Find a hotel close by. Chicago traffic sucks a big time!!!

Freakingzooming said:
yeah it's better if you stay with a student. Hyde Park can be tough to figure out. Around the school and near the campus it's nice but if you go anywhere west or south of the school, you're kind in the roughest area of Chicago. You can always check out bed and breakfast places. Google them. They're not too expensive and near campus most of the time. I don't remember there being any hotels though close to campus. You'll need to stay near the lake and take the 171, 172, 173, 55 in.

yeah I was planning to stay with a student host, but i'm going there soon and I haven't heard from any student!! So I guess I might have no other choice but to stay at a hotel :(

waterlily said:
for those who interviewed at pritzker already, can you recommend any cheap hotels that's close to the school?

Go to www.hotwire.com Seriously waterlily you will save ALOT of $ doing this. And this website is completely legit (you can see their partners, which are all well know hotel chains like Hyatt; Hilton Chain; The Starwood Collection; Holiday Inn; Crowne Plaza; etc....).

Here is what you do: Find where Pritzker is located and then go to Hotwire and choose the areas in the city that are closest to it (what Hotwire will do is break the city up into parts and you choose what areas where you like to have searched.

Here is the link to the table where they rank their partners:
http://www.hotwire.com/pop-up/hotel...esults.jsp:booking-info:loc:0:ratings#Upscale

And here is the guide to their rankings:

Luxury 5-Star Hotels
Sample 5-star Room*Examples: Distinguished hotels and resorts worldwide
These luxury establishments offer superb guest services and the highest standards of comfort.
Guestrooms feature the finest furnishings and decor, premium bedding and luxury bath products.
There is typically a high staff-to-guest ratio, gourmet dining, 24-hour room service, baggage handling, and a fitness or business center; special touches may include fresh flowers and plants.
These properties are usually located in the most desirable city or resort locations.

Deluxe 4.5-Star Hotels
Examples: Hyatt, InterContinental, Le Meridien
These deluxe establishments are located on prime real estate and usually offer baggage handling, onsite dining, room service, concierge services, and a fitness or business center.
These properties feature tastefully furnished rooms that are cosmopolitan and intimate; special touches may include fresh flowers and plants.
Guests are often pampered with extra perks, such as bathrobes and turndown services.
Shopping or dining establishments are usually located within close proximity.

Upscale 4-star Hotels
Sample 4-star Room*Examples: Hilton, Westin, Wyndham
These upscale establishments usually offer a fine-dining restaurant, lounge, room service with extended hours, and fitness or business center.
Service features usually include baggage assistance, a concierge and valet parking.
Guestrooms usually offer stylish furnishings, high-quality bedding and bath products, and a wide array of toiletries.
These properties are usually located near points of interest, which may include downtown centers, resort areas or major airports.

Distinctive 3.5 Star Hotels
Examples: Crowne Plaza, Radisson, Hilton Garden Inn
These distinctive establishments offer a higher level of service than most midscale properties, and larger or higher-quality rooms. The lobbies, public areas and exterior are also of higher quality than hotels with lower star ratings.
These properties usually offer many of the features and amenities of upscale hotels, such as restaurants, room service, baggage handling, and a fitness or business center.
These properties are frequently located near business centers, attractions or upscale residential areas.

Midscale 3-Star Hotels
Sample 3-star Room*Examples: Holiday Inn, Four Points by Sheraton, Doubletree
These midrange establishments place a greater emphasis on style, comfort and personalized service than hotels with lower star ratings.
These full-service properties usually feature traditional lobby decor, baggage assistance, on-site dining, room service and a gift shop.
Additional onsite amenities -- such as a business center or fitness center -- may also be available.

Value 2.5-Star Hotels
Examples: Ramada, Wingate Inn, Holiday Inn Express
These limited-service establishments offer more than the basic level of accommodations and are ideally suited for the value-conscious traveler.
Additional features may include on-site dining, a residential look and feel in the lobby, larger-sized guestrooms, and a fitness or business center.
Guestrooms are comfortably appointed and may offer a few extras, such as additional space or a dedicated desk or work area.
These properties are usually located within walking distance of shopping or dining facilities.

Economy 2-Star Hotels
Sample 2-star Room*Examples: Days Inn, La Quinta, Comfort Inn
These limited-service establishments are expected to offer clean, basic accommodations with a few extra features, such as a coffee maker.
These properties may offer some business services but usually lack meeting rooms, baggage assistance and fitness facilities.
Onsite dining is usually limited to coffee or Continental breakfast; offsite dining is usually located within walking distance.
Public access and guest reception may not be available at all hours.

1-Star Motel
Examples: Red Roof, Super 8, Econo Lodge
These value-oriented establishments are expected to offer clean, no-frills accommodations with minimal on-site facilities for the budget-minded traveler.
Guestrooms are usually small and functionally decorated.
Onsite dining is usually not available; off-site dining is usually located within walking distance.
Public access and guest reception may not be available at all hours.

Here are some examples of what I found for 9/29 - 10/01/05 (sorry I dont have your dates)
here is the link: http://www.hotwire.com/hotel/results.jsp?lid=hotel/searching.jsp:search:loc:0:search

Chicago Loop (Downtown Areas) - See map 4 stars
Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Business Center.
View complete amenity list and description
Price:$171 per room
per night

Chicago Loop (Downtown Areas) - See map 3.5 stars
Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Business Center.
Best Value!
Price: $91 per room
per night

Chicago Loop (Downtown Areas) - See map 3 stars
Selected amenities include:Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Laundry Facilities (self-service). View complete amenity list and description
Price: $143 per room
per night

Magnificent Mile - Wacker Drive (Downtown Areas) - See map 4.5 stars
Selected amenities include:Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Business Center. View complete amenity list and description
Price:$285 per room
per night

Magnificent Mile - Wacker Drive (Downtown Areas) - See map 4 stars
Selected amenities include: Boutique Hotel, Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, Business Center. View complete amenity list and description
Price:$163 per room
per night

Magnificent Mile - Wacker Drive (Downtown Areas) - See map 3.5 stars
Customer Favorite! Read reviews
Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Business Center. View complete amenity list and description
Price:$199 per room
per night

Magnificent Mile - Wacker Drive (Downtown Areas) - See map
Selected amenities include:silkHotAmenities6: Restaurant(s), Fitness Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Laundry Facilities (self-service). View complete amenity list and description
silkHotRefNo:Ref No. 5591383350
silkHotPrice6:$149 per room
per night

Magnificent Mile - Wacker Drive (Downtown Areas) - See map
Selected amenities include: Restaurant(s), High-Speed Internet Access. View complete amenity list and description
Price:$132 per room
per night

North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast (Downtown Areas) - See map 2 stars
Selected amenities include: Suite, Restaurant(s), Pool(s), Fitness Center, Business Center. View complete amenity list and description
silkHotPrice9:$161 per room
per night

THE RATES ARE MUCH CHEAPER CLOSER TO OHARE AND MIDWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Waterlilly: This website will help save $ (if you want to stay in a hotel). Book your hotels on this site as early as possible. Let me give you an example: My mom and I came here to Philly from Los Angeles just to get a feel for UPenn and the city. We first searched all the hotel websites and were discouraged by what we found b/c the hotels in the city were just too expensive. So I tried hotwire.com and found a four star hotel on Penn's Landing (on the water) for $81/night. I was skeptical until I read their guide to their rankings...After reading this we were much more willing to give it a try....but we were still iffy b/c you cannot see the hotel name until you make purchase....We ended up getting the HYATT REGENCY at PENN"S LANDING....That hotel was hella nice!!!!!!!!

Good luck Waterlilly!

Hey, there's the Ramada Inn on Lake Shore Drive....I believe its on 31st street......I think this is your best bet.....its not far from the hyde park area. You should google it.

If you're willing to take the bus in the morning to the school (I can give ya directions) staying downtown will open a lot more options for ya. Really, what's weird about UChicago is its in no man's land. You don't have a decent hotel near the school that's cheap. I was trying to look up some bed and breakfast places and couldn't find any.

Closest decent hotel is downtown and they'll be pricey. Use Orbitz to look up cheap ones. Getting from downtown to Uchicago could take about 45 minutes total, from getting out of your hotel to walking to the campus from the 55 bus stop. But if you decide to stay here are the bus lines that run to campus:

4, 3, 6, 28. You want to take the 6 which runs the most often I think out of all them. Take the 6 from State street or Michigan. You'll need to look up the cross streets and the bus will go south from downtown on the lakeshore and exit hyde park. From there it'll run down Hyde Park Blvd. You should get off on 55th and Hyde Park Blvd stop. Take 55th bus west or you can walk to the campus (it'll be a 15 minute walk) to 55th street and Ellis stop (this is like a five minute ride). You'll be two blocks from the BSLC and where your interview day will start. Total travel time really isn't too much.

check out this website if ya need to look up the schedule for the buses.

CTA

The 6 and 55 runs every ten minutes.

I wouldn't suggest you take the red line cuz for a newbie it's kinda scary off the 55th street platiform.

And keep emailing the student hosts. A lot of them probably aren't even at school yet. They don't start until the end of september. Be persistent!

borisd said:
Hey, there's the Ramada Inn on Lake Shore Drive....I believe its on 31st street......I think this is your best bet.....its not far from the hyde park area. You should google it.

yeah, there's a few hotels near mccormick place (the convention center) that are probably your best bets as far as being close and not in a horrible neighborhood.