hottest research area in dentistry right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious, what's the hottest research are in dentistry right now for those of you are involving with your dental school? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
I am just curious, what's the hottest research are in dentistry right now for those of you are involving with your dental school? Thanks! :)

In no particluar order:

Implants
Esthetic Materials
Links between dental health and general systemic health
Amalgam and related mercury issues

Members don't see this ad :)
stem cells and regenerative dentistry. salivary diagnostics, tissue engineering and biofilm characterization with innovative therapy

A supposed link between periodontal disease and stroke.

If they could only figure out how to grow teeth...
Actually that would hurt implant dentistry wouldn't it? :smuggrin:

to me personally, salivary diagnosis is the most interesting area of up and coming research, and this ties in with the connection between oral and overall health

Health Promotion
Systemic Health and Oral Health
Oral Cancer

One may be more important than the other, but they are mentioned frequently during our day.

ReG

Enamel regeneration
salivary diagnosis
tooth whitening agents
caries vaccine (they will never get this one)

captaintripps said:
A supposed link between periodontal disease and stroke.

This has been pretty well documented. Now we are on the the pathogenesis of it all.
-C

Smooth Operater said:
My buddy down at San Antonio is studying the use of fetal foreskin as a graft material instead of alloderm. Who wants a piece of a cadaver in their mouths anyway?

He's been looking for donors if anyone is interested. PM him--PerioGod.

OMFSCardsFan said:
My buddy down at San Antonio is studying the use of fetal foreskin as a graft material instead of alloderm. Who wants a piece of a cadaver in their mouths anyway?

He's been looking for donors if anyone is interested. PM him--PerioGod.

I got the idea after seeing an area of recession in OMFSCardsFan's mouth magically heal itself. I then thought to myself, "What is in CardsFan's mouth that isn't in a normal person's."

Smooth Operater said:
Oral sex and TMJ pain

Periogod said:
I then thought to myself, "What is in CardsFan's mouth that isn't in a normal person's."
The obvious answer is sitting across from you... :cool:

I was wondering where you've been. Hadn't seen you post in a while...

My undergrad Thesis paper (required by all biology majors) is a journal review on stem cell research and regenerative dentistry, which actually is quite advanced already!

TMD related to occlusion or not