Hourly pay for General Physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daysinnnc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do those physicians make an hour?
I am sure they make 6 figs but is it really ture??
compared to how stressful the job is, the salary is nothing..

Members don't see this ad.

lots of jobs are very stressful. on wall street, you are constantly making decisions where there is risk losing millions (or more!), and maybe they shouldn't be, but people are much less forgiving when it comes to their money

:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ummm...okay. :rolleyes:

BTW, I don't think physicans have an "hourly" wage. It's more of a quota, where you are required (if you work for a hospital/clinic anyway) to see a certain # of patients a week or a day, and you have a set yearly salary.

And job stress is relative. If you are doing something you like in a place you like, it probably will be less stressful. Different people find different things stressful.

lots of jobs are very stressful. on wall street, you are constantly making decisions where there is risk losing millions (or more!), and maybe they shouldn't be, but people are much less forgiving when it comes to their money

Umm..I dunno about that...you can always earn money again...however if a surgeon messes up and chops one of my balls off or something by accident, I'm not growing a new one.

Actually, the salary is nothing. Physicians are now on the verge of dropping out of that six fig bracket, while still holding down six fig debt. You are also right about stress. You can't really relax when pts are waiting to sue the crap out of your ass.

...if a surgeon messes up and chops one of my balls off or something by accident, I'm not growing a new one.

Solid point.

Solid point.

I would only add that the doctor is actually trying to help you regain your health or your life. I understand the importance of an appendage, but doctors are humans and therefore prone to make mistakes.

I would only add that the doctor is actually trying to help you regain your health or your life. I understand the importance of an appendage, but doctors are humans and therefore prone to make mistakes.

ya but I'm just saying I'd be more forgiving to someone who lost me $100,000 than someone cutting off one of my balls (or whatever...insert your favorite appendage).

Like I said, I can always make more money

ya but I'm just saying I'd be more forgiving to someone who lost me $100,000 than someone cutting off one of my balls (or whatever...insert your favorite appendage).

I understood your point. All I'm saying is, should you be able to (in many cases, I'm not saying negligence doesn't exist among doctors) sue the person who gave you the ability to sue them in the first place?

I understood your point. All I'm saying is, should you be able to (in many cases, I'm not saying negligence doesn't exist among doctors) sue the person who gave you the ability to sue them in the first place?

random comment

maybe... but I think only someone that has experienced the later would be able to appreciate that perspective. your typical american is going to take the loss of $100k and go after your favorite appendage.

Umm..I dunno about that...you can always earn money again...however if a surgeon messes up and chops one of my balls off or something by accident, I'm not growing a new one.

would you be more afraid of a guy with one ball, or two? j/k (and don't worry ladies, many of you can be very frightening)in more seriousness, there is a mentality in the business world of capital wanting to see that if their investment goes south, the sponsor's "life is destroyed" (of course, there are nicer capitalists who just want to see someone "get hurt") in medicine, there is more acceptance of the reality that people are human and that people die

Members don't see this ad :)
general practitioners pull in about $100/hr.

so if you work 40 hours a week, thats $4000 per week, $16,000 per month

so if you work 40 hours a week, thats $4000 per week, $16,000 per month

Just lie on your taxes and you'll be straight.

Is this sarcasm? I don't get it.

etf's figures seem to be on the outside of possible. Especially if he meant actual billing time (like, time spent with patients). That's probably closer to 30 hour per week (?)

general practitioners pull in about $100/hr.

this article talks about the change in reimbursements for surgeons over the past decade or so for a particular practice.

table 6 reports hourly wage by specialty. they quote AMA News.

sad to say, but GPs seem to make half of what u said.

however, it's unclear how AMA News defines hourly wage, etc, etc...

Attachments

• surgeon compensation.pdf
    280.4 KB · Views: 176
And job stress is relative. If you are doing something you like in a place you like, it probably will be less stressful. Different people find different things stressful.

Yeah, plus it's not stressful if you just don't care, lol.

The key is to become as super-jaded as possible as quickly as possible. Then you'll be able to just brush it off and work without distraction or stress.

Ummm...okay. :rolleyes:

BTW, I don't think physicans have an "hourly" wage. It's more of a quota, where you are required (if you work for a hospital/clinic anyway) to see a certain # of patients a week or a day, and you have a set yearly salary.

It depends on where you work but I think a lot of places "sort of" have an hourly wage or a salary, like a base pay, but you get a performance bonus depending on how many patients you see (and thus, how much money you're bringing in).

This of course means that you'll be spending like 5 minutes with each patient trying to run through them like crazy, but it's how it goes I guess. It's kind of disturbing actually, how little time some of the schedules allow for (I'm talking about regular old IM docs obviously)

Dude, you still have your other ball. It's not as if he chopped BOTH of them off :laugh:

And plus, with the miracle of cloning and stem cells, one day you might actually be able to grow a new one (or your clone pig will grow it for you)!

this article talks about the change in reimbursements for surgeons over the past decade or so for a particular practice.

table 6 reports hourly wage by specialty. they quote AMA News.

sad to say, but GPs seem to make half of what u said.

however, it's unclear how AMA News defines hourly wage, etc, etc...

I know this is pre-allo, but can I just point out a couple things?

1) I don't see GPs anywhere in that article. I see mentions of FP, but that's not the same thing.

2) GPs have largely disappeared from the American landscape. The practice opportunities are extremely limited, and the numbers are increasingly declining. Anyone contemplating medical school who is seriously interested in being a GP should really look into the huge downsides before they pursue such a career.

Actually, only about 12% of physicians are paid a straight salary (fixed wage). Most are compensated based on production.

http://www.aafp.org/fpm/981000fm/cover.html

Physician compensation methods
page55.jpg

Source: Medical Group Management Association.
Physician Compensation and Production Survey:
1997 Report Based on 1996 Data.