Hours of Study per Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IH8ColdWeath3r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone posting on the 30+ MCAT study habbits,
I was wondering how long everyone spends studying per day throughout the week. Everyone is mentioning the duration of how long they studied in months, but I would really like to know the time spent studying per DAY! I think this is really helpful, especially bc I plan on studying like 8-10 hrs per ay the first month before summer school starts and I keep hearing about the BURNOUT factor. Please do share, particularly if you studied during the summer as I will to prep for the Sept MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

The reason you rarely see hours per day is because everyone's different. One person might take 10 hours to go through something that takes another person 6. Similarly, one person may burn out at 10 hours and another 6. I'd focus on setting up a reasonable schedule which includes plenty of break days and getting through the day's materials.

Last edited:
I would do a few weeks of 10 hours a day/6 days a week. Then I would get burnt out and switch to 5-6 hours a day/5 days a week for several weeks. I would go back and forth. I think I was a lot more effective when I was studying less, I was really frying my brain.

Members don't see this ad :)
As SN2ed said, it just depends on yourself and how much you can handle. I suggest that you make a schedule based on how much you get done (in terms of # of chapters or pages or whatever) rather than on how much time you spend studying.

COME ON PPL POST!!! I need your thoughts/experience!! :D:D:D:mad::scared:

dude, the reason not many are posting is:

What is hours per day? Hours per day is usually an excuse for lower productivity. "I put in 8 hours today". That means nothing. It is #1 how productive you are and #2 how much of your time at work is spent working.

I have studied with people who are at the library for 5 hours and get 2 hours of real work done. Also, I have studied at high levels where I can get twice as much work done as other times. you have too.

So hours doesn't mean much. Set goals for what you want to accomplish in a day or a week. ___ FLs a week or ___ practice passages a day, etc.

Then you are working in productivity and not in "hours logged". You are asking the wrong question.

seriously lol
I have a full time job and I "work" 40 hours per week, or 8 hours per day... but in actuality I only work 4-5 hours per day.. lol

hours per day is meaningless, set a goal for a given day and accomplish that goal. If it takes u 5 hours ok, if it takes you 1 hour thats ok too (probably not enough to do on that day though).