hours of volunteer work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaker

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would 200 hours of clinical volunteer work over a period of 3 years be considered a decent amount of volunteer work when applying to med school? I've done about 150 so far and I'm wondering if doing another 50 by the time I apply in june would be worthwhile. Also, does shadowing a doctor count as "volunteering," or should that be listed separately from volunteer work on the AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Would 200 hours of clinical volunteer work over a period of 3 years be considered a decent amount of volunteer work when applying to med school? Also, does shadowing a doctor count as "volunteering," or should that be listed separately from volunteer work on the AMCAS?

Some adcom members don't consider it volunteering because you don't actually benefit anyone but yourself so you might want to call that "other".

If you volunteered for 2 hours per week during 3 academic years, I'd say that's not too bad. I've seen some people do 4 hours wk for a semester so you have them beat.