Hours spent studying per week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krevelli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours do you guys spend studying (outside of lectures) per week?

Members don't see this ad.

80. I don't get out much.

Outside of lecture and PBL...probably 40-50, more the week or so before the exam

Members don't see this ad :)
I average about 35-40 hours a week most of the time. This is accomplished by studying 4 to 5 hours a day on weekdays and 6 to 8 hours a day on weekends.

I have the feeling, though, that I study quite a bit more than most of my classmates, who probably average 20-25 hours a week (except for the period before exams). At least that's what I always hear whenever some of my classmates start making excuses for their less than stellar exam performances.

News for you jed... 4/5 of those people are lying.

I'm about at 10 hours a week for the first 3 weeks of a 5 week block, 15 hours during week 4, and then prolly 30 hours 5th week.

I'm pretty similar to Jalby, maybe with a bit more time in the beginning. I'd call it 15 hrs for weeks 1-2, 20 for weeks 3-4, and about 35 for the week before and during exams.

I'm in rotations now, so it's a little different. I'll maybe study for 2 hours in the evenings after coming home from the hospital. On my day off, maybe 6-8 hours max.

It's tough to study when you've been at the hospital since 4 am, and you get home around 7-7:30 pm. Throw the call schedule in there, and it's a whole 'nother ballgame. :(

i'm one of those "study hard/party hard" people. I don't do much of anything for the first 3 weeks of a 5-week block. Then I do nothing but sit in the library for two weeks. Seems to work out okay.

i dont think a lot of people are lying when they say they study only 20 or so hours a week. i usually average around 20 hours a week outdside of class and i am doing just fine. i know people that study less than that, some do well, some dont. but it is defintely possible to study 20 hours a week and do well. i think the key is to study for high yield.

i must admit, i am the study , no party , less talking type. I am the social type to some extent.
Before med sch, i had more time to study... but now, my study hours compete with lectures :)

I attend ~50% of the lectures and study probably ~3 hours a day on average; I'd say about three-quarters of the class here studies more than that. I'm motoring along a couple points above the class average, quite happily relaxed and rather wondering a) when everyone else is going to burn-out and b) where they're going to create extra hours in the day to study more when it really gets overwhelming in the second-year....

I probably study between 30-40 hours per week. Keep in mind that a lot of this 'study time' is spent instant messaging, checking email, surfing the net, etc. :) Of course, this increases right before a test.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's not the week before an exam I don't study Mon-Fri at all. Granted, instead I attend all of the lectures (~30 hrs a week) and really try to pay attention. On weekends not before an exam I'll maybe put in an hour or two. The weekend before an exam I'll study around 30 hrs. I find with all the small groups we do and the fact that I learn well in the lecture environment really cuts down on weekday studying. Sure, I'm not getting honors, but I'm definitely passing everything.

Originally posted by xaelia
I attend ~50% of the lectures and study probably ~3 hours a day on average; I'd say about three-quarters of the class here studies more than that. I'm motoring along a couple points above the class average, quite happily relaxed and rather wondering a) when everyone else is going to burn-out and b) where they're going to create extra hours in the day to study more when it really gets overwhelming in the second-year....

i am seriously impressed by people who can do this, i just don't really understand how it is possible. if you only attend 50% of the lectures, don't you have to spend those 3 hours a day going over stuff you didn't go to lecture for and therefore you aren't really "studying" at all but rather seeing stuff for the first time? you must study more before exams, on weekends, or something?

I am always amazed by the answers people give. How do you have the stamina! I usually did about 5-10 hours a week for three weeks then 40-50 hours the week before a block of exams, most of them the 2 days before an exam. Of course this didn't yield me all honors. I got about average or slightly above average in most classes and was happy with that.

Originally posted by jwin
i am seriously impressed by people who can do this, i just don't really understand how it is possible. if you only attend 50% of the lectures, don't you have to spend those 3 hours a day going over stuff you didn't go to lecture for and therefore you aren't really "studying" at all but rather seeing stuff for the first time? you must study more before exams, on weekends, or something?

It doesn't really seem to take more than a few hours to read over the lecture notes for the day, write up any additional notes, and make flashcards for the material (www.digitalmeadow.com, it makes learning fun!). Two or three hours at the coffeeshop fussing around after lunch, then off to the gym, and then after dinner...well, who studies after dinner? ;)

Originally posted by xaelia
It doesn't really seem to take more than a few hours to read over the lecture notes for the day, write up any additional notes, and make flashcards for the material (www.digitalmeadow.com, it makes learning fun!). Two or three hours at the coffeeshop fussing around after lunch, then off to the gym, and then after dinner...well, who studies after dinner? ;)
Do you really have 30 hours of actual lecture each week?? That sounds brutal.

Originally posted by Jalby

i found this one to be quite brutal, i am pretty sure we were over 30hrs/week

msaa.iusm.iu.edu/ms1fall03-04.pdf

oh why oh why did i choose you Indiana for you are so cruel to me.

We, for most units, have class or lab from 8:30 to 3:30 monday through friday with an hour break for lunch. That's 30 hrs. Some weeks we have more labs than others...some weeks are just lecture. Some days are only until 2:30... a few they've held us till 4:30 and I thought I would die.

Originally posted by Jalby

Hm? No, we never have more than four hours a day; we're always done with lecture before noon, and usually by 11:30am. Some people have 30 actual hours of lecture a week, but it's certainly not us....

I am not typical, nor am I anywhere near the top of my class, but I just can't manage more than 2 hours of productive studying/day. And that's not even every day. In fact, since I now only take 1 exam at a time (MS 3), that's for maybe a week before the exam. I would not recommend this to anybody. In fact, I've been trying for 2 1/2 years to find ways to study longer, but I just can't.

I study about 20 hours a week, and it has worked out just fine for me.:)

There is one school I know of that has 32 hours of lectures a week plus 4 extra hours of elective, but I won't mention which school that is because they always get mad at me when I point this out. I would friggen die.

Originally posted by jwin
i found this one to be quite brutal, i am pretty sure we were over 30hrs/week

msaa.iusm.iu.edu/ms1fall03-04.pdf

oh why oh why did i choose you Indiana for you are so cruel to me.

My god it sucks to be you guys. That is horrible.