Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujay11

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
how has your schedule changed from undergrad to med school? I've been studying WAY more, sleeping way less. wondering if anyone else is going through the same thing. the main thing is sleep....used to get the recommended 8 hours in the good ole days. Now 6and a half to 7. that little bit of sleep really makes a big difference for me. I don't know if less sleep is something i will get used to or something i just can't change.
I read somewhere that you can never really get used to getting less sleep, because your body is programmed to function optimally after a certain amount (although i can't recall where). Any input would be much appreciated....should i start sleeping more???? if so, when should i study. :p

Members don't see this ad.

I am sleeping more now than in undergrad. I really hate studying, but force myself to do it. I think that you just have to get some quality study time in, and not time where you say you're studying, but rather just sitting there staring blankly, or sleeping on Robbins. I force myself to leave "me time." I dont study past 10 or 10:30, and am usually asleep by 11:00. I know that if I dont sleep enough, I wont be productive, so what's the point. Even if I tried to study till the wee hours, it wouldnt do any good, because I keep thinking about sleep.

My advice: sleep more, and study "less" (by which I mean fewer hours, but more efficiently).

Take it easy

thanks docuw. i think i'll change my routine and see how it works out. Lemme start with a little nap right now....

Members don't see this ad :)
You may also cosider skipping classes to study during that time. I have found that many profs pretty much regurgitate what's in their notes... it's often more efficient to just skip the lecture and study the notes. If you have more study time during the day, you'll get plenty of sleep at night.

One more bit of advice that I would like to offer: Dont study because you feel like that is what you are supposed to do as a med student. It seems to me that alot of students, me included, get a guilty feeling when they are not studying because there is a preconcieved notion that med students must be studying every waking minute. It just isnt true. You have to find time to relax, sleep, and then time to study when you need to.