Housing at away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syranope2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm working on setting up my away rotations now. What do we do if the school says that they can't help with housing? Even the cheapest of the cheap hotels would be ~$1000 for four weeks stay.

What did others out there do for housing during away rotations?

Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm working on setting up my away rotations now. What do we do if the school says that they can't help with housing? Even the cheapest of the cheap hotels would be ~$1000 for four weeks stay.

What did others out there do for housing during away rotations?

Thanks!:)

Talk to the programs that you are interested in and see if they can assist you in finding some cheaper housing or sublet housing. Also, I think AMSA has an online list serv that you may find helpful. Best of luck. :luck:

Call the dean's office where you are going and ask if they have housing for visiting students, like a researved dorm room for this thing, or know of people who allow visiting student's to stay. You can also try the medical "fraternities" (lots of chicks [can I say chicks without offending people?{whoever gets offended can take a flying leap}] running around these "fraternities") - most of these places will let you crash. I spent a month on a mattress on the floor this way, and it only cost me $200 and everyone was really cool. Look for any sort of connection you can - some people you know will know someone who knows someone in the area and since medical student's tend to be low on the "criminal" and high on the "trustworthiness" scale in the eyes on the public even people who do not know you might let you stay if someone they know says you're cool.

PS - I'd make sure you have the elective locked down first. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Call the dean's office where you are going and ask if they have housing for visiting students, like a researved dorm room for this thing, or know of people who allow visiting student's to stay. You can also try the medical "fraternities" (lots of chicks [can I say chicks without offending people?{whoever gets offended can take a flying leap}] running around these "fraternities") - most of these places will let you crash. I spent a month on a mattress on the floor this way, and it only cost me $200 and everyone was really cool. Look for any sort of connection you can - some people you know will know someone who knows someone in the area and since medical student's tend to be low on the "criminal" and high on the "trustworthiness" scale in the eyes on the public even people who do not know you might let you stay if someone they know says you're cool.

PS - I'd make sure you have the elective locked down first. ;)

This is good advice. The other advantage of contacting the admin of the school you are going to is that they will sometimes have info on short term rentals. You're probably not the only student going away in Nov-Jan, and students will often rent out their apartments for the month while they are gone at reasonable prices. During late Fall/early Winter, not a week goes by that I don't get an email from my Dean's office asking for anyone with available housing.

I have also heard rumors that there is a website up now that is matching up med students with housing for exactly this kind of situation, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it right now.