housing at michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anybody out there tell me what kind of options for housing first year dental students have at university of michigan. also, when should i start making arrangments thank you

Members don't see this ad.

predmd said:
can anybody out there tell me what kind of options for housing first year dental students have at university of michigan. also, when should i start making arrangments thank you

I go to school here. The best bet is for you to start looking for appartments on Central Campus, where the Dental School is located. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Oh yea, make arrangements as soon as you can if you know for sure that Michigan is where you would like to go.

Are you married or single? They have shuttle busses that go from married housing down to the central campus. Either way... it's not like Ann Arbor is a huge metropolis or anything, you could live anywhere and get to class pretty easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
Utes said:
Are you married or single? They have shuttle busses that go from married housing down to the central campus. Either way... it's not like Ann Arbor is a huge metropolis or anything, you could live anywhere and get to class pretty easily.

Yea...but the married housing is on North Campus, which is a pretty dull, boring area of the campus. The bus-ride from here to the Dental school is around 10 mins, which is no big deal, but it is still out in the middle of nowhere.

I am undergrad at Michigan and housing is pretty expensive around here. I would like to live in central campus but most people I know live on the north campus side. Bus services are THE BEST at Michigan. If you decide to live on the family housing, you will get a bus in the morning at about every five minutes. Now that is real good. Many dental students live on the family housing. Parking is worst on the campus so best bet is to live close to the campus so you can use the campus bus services. Many students I know live on the apts located near by the Medical School . I think it is a good option as well. I would look for apts atleast in the March becasue later you may not find a good options. I am most likely be going to Michigan and if I go here I will be buying a house. let me know if you have any questions.

most people in my class live either 1) in an apartment on central campus, within walking distance of school (like me :) ) 2) Family housing or an apartment on north campus and take the bus in (the busses are good here but it's slightly less convenient when you want to go home for lunch or between classes or come in in the evenings to drill) 3) one of the three dental frats, (I think it takes a certain kind of person to like living in a frat but hey everyone I know that is in it seems happy), or 4) owns a house off campus or even in the surrounding towns and drives in (usually people who are older or married or living at home to save on rent). whichever you think fits you best, there is plenty available, but the sooner you get a chance to start looking the more you'll have to choose from. congrats on getting in and hope to see you next year :)

ps - feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the school and I'll do the best I can to help from a D1's perspective :)

thanks everyone. I'm almost positive it will be Mich.