Housing at NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovekerry

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just sent in my acceptance fee to NYCOM and was wondering how to go about finding an apartment. Does the school help, are students on their own with respect to finding housing? What's the best way to get started and how soon should I start? Also, what's the usual price range?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats Lovekerry! I am an MS1 at NYCOM and I agree with DOnut (great name by the way!) in that you have many options here in Long Island and the surrounding areas with respect to housing. You can find a place that suits you because there is a little bit of everything, all pretty close. I live very close to school (just over a 5 minute drive) in a town called Glen Cove. There are many students that live here in Glen cove and nearby towns but some do live a bit further in places like queens, and the Bronx. Lots of options! Just talk to lots of different people and find out where they live and see how they like it. Some don't mind a bit of a commute, but others hate it so they live closer.

As for how to find housing, first call the school and ask to be given a webboard username and password if they haven't given you one already. There will be housing posts there shortly and as the year moves on more and more apartments will be posted. But you have to move quick because stuff gets filled up fast around here. You can also go through a realtor (that's how my roommate and I ended up doing it). You will have to pay a realtor fee (usually one month's rent) but from my experience the apartments are often in better shape and it was a ton easier.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message if you'd like. Hope this helped! Good Luck!

~Free
NYCOM 2006