Quantcast

Housing At UMDNJ Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I recently decided to attend UDNJ for 2005 ,and was wondering if anyone who
is currently attending or is going to attend 2005 has any info on housing, or if there will be dormitories available by then...
Thank UUU

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ash said:
I recently decided to attend UDNJ for 2005 ,and was wondering if anyone who
is currently attending or is going to attend 2005 has any info on housing, or if there will be dormitories available by then...
Thank UUU

I don’t think the dormitories will be up by the time you start in 2005..you might want to call them and check that out for sure though..

As for places to live..
Real close to the school (across the street) is Society Hill. reasonable priced apartments. This is, of course, if you want to live in Newark.

Also in Newark is the Ironbound section which is a relatively nice neighborhood that is a mix of Portuguese and Brazilian people. Great restaurants bars and reasonably priced places to live.

Some towns that are nice to live in and in decent proximity to the school:
Belleville, Bloomfield, Kearny, Harrison, No. Arlington, Lyndhurst, Montclair, Nutley and maybe even Clifton.

All of these towns have reasonably priced apartments.

Good luck with your search.. Maybe I'll see you there.

Ash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
DMD_hopeful said:
I don’t think the dormitories will be up by the time you start in 2005..you might want to call them and check that out for sure though..

As for places to live..
Real close to the school (across the street) is Society Hill. reasonable priced apartments. This is, of course, if you want to live in Newark.

Also in Newark is the Ironbound section which is a relatively nice neighborhood that is a mix of Portuguese and Brazilian people. Great restaurants bars and reasonably priced places to live.

Some towns that are nice to live in and in decent proximity to the school:
Belleville, Bloomfield, Kearny, Harrison, No. Arlington, Lyndhurst, Montclair, Nutley and maybe even Clifton.

All of these towns have reasonably priced apartments.

Good luck with your search.. Maybe I'll see you there.

Thanks for the info, I've heard from a lot of ppl that the neighborhood is not safe at all, is that true at all??? :confused:

jdann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ash said:
Thanks for the info, I've heard from a lot of ppl that the neighborhood is not safe at all, is that true at all??? :confused:

congrats on getting in ash...as for places to stay. there are lots of apts 2 minutes from the school, and there are really nice areas about 15 minutes away...don't know much else though...i'm from staten island and i have to find one myself as well...see you in august... :D

john

DMD_hopeful

Registered lunatic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ash said:

Newark isn't exactly the best city in the world.. Keep your wits about you and you should be fine. I currently go to school in Newark and I have had plenty of friends who went to UMDNJ and nothing 'bad' has ever happened.

Personally, I wouldn't live in Newark. 5 minutes away though is another story.

cctdmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to NJ Dental School ('02). I lived (along w/ a lot of faculty, students and residents) in Society Hills and found that to be okay. Its close to school, which is good when you're tired, forget something, or have car trouble. Townhouse style, so you'll probably share w/ roomates (I lived w/ 2 other UMDNJers). Parking could be an issue if you have a multiple car situation due to one space/house. The area...well I had my car broken into but that has happened 2 of the 4 places I've lived recently. Its not the best place but people will make it sound as if you'll die if you are in Newark after hours. North Newark, Bellville, Kearny, and Bloomfield are places where most of my classmates stayed as well. I had the best time of my life in the Newark area and often go back to visist friends in the area.