Housing at WashU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erasable

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a student entering WashU this fall. I was told only about half of the entering class lives in the dorm, and only ~10% stay for second year. Is there some disadvantage of living in the Olin dorm other than its size? Why would students choose apartments?

Members don't see this ad.

erasable said:
I'm a student entering WashU this fall. I was told only about half of the entering class lives in the dorm, and only ~10% stay for second year. Is there some disadvantage of living in the Olin dorm other than its size? Why would students choose apartments?

The disadvantage is that its a dorm...fill in the blanks. You share a bathroom, two floors share a kitchen, and the room is not very large.

Other than that its cheap as hell and the location can't be beat.

If you don't need a big place and you don't mind sharing a bathroom/kitchen then Olin's great. If not, you find an apartment.

good luck!

erasable said:

I'm not a WashU med student, but I was an undergrad, and I can tell you its probably because apartments are so freaking cheap in the area! its not hard to find a place 5x as big for a doable price in your budget.