Housing at Yale, New Haven

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Wife

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband matched Yale '06 and we have three kids. I was hoping for insights on the housing situation, safety, schools, and commute. Specifically, East Rock, areas north of the river/bridge? (Branford, Guilford) vs. Milford, North Haven, Wallingford. Any advice on how to hook up with people regarding housing and that may be in our same situation (older kids) i.e., any liasons, chief residents, significant others group? Thanks for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of those areas you mentioned are nice. New Haven, not so nice for housing but the surrounding areas are. Milford is nice, it can be expensive. My understanding is the schools are pretty good. Wallingfor is alright, bout the same as Milford really. There are some amazing areas in both places. Guilford is very expensive. Clinton is nice too. I don't know, all of those areas are pretty much about the same and it will depend more on the neighborhood.

The Wife said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My husband matched Yale '06 and we have three kids. I was hoping for insights on the housing situation, safety, schools, and commute. Specifically, East Rock, areas north of the river/bridge? (Branford, Guilford) vs. Milford, North Haven, Wallingford. Any advice on how to hook up with people regarding housing and that may be in our same situation (older kids) i.e., any liasons, chief residents, significant others group? Thanks for any advice!

I currently live in East Rock (and have for the past 3 years) and have to admit that I both love the area and feel extremely safe here. I'm from NY and have lived in Philly, so I've got a fairly reasonable basis for reference. It can be expensive to purchase a house in East Rock, but many residents with kids rent in the neighbourhood. If you want to exchange information with other graduate students about having kids and living in the area, then I suggest the forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YaleInternational
However, you should know that the majority of people who post on this site are not in medicine.

As for the other areas you mentioned: I believe Branford has an excellent school system and many attendings live in there. Hamden, although closer and more affordable than Branford, (albeit only from hearsay) does not have a phenomenal school system. You might also want to check out West Rock and Woodbridge.
Good luck.

locitamd said:
I currently live in East Rock (and have for the past 3 years) and have to admit that I both love the area and feel extremely safe here..

Ditto on the East Rock thing... love it, feel safe, there are LOTS of families with kids around. Many faculty members also live in this part of town or very close to it in Hamden, CT.

Can't tell you anything about the school system (since I do not have children), but I currently live in Hamden. I'm very happy where I live. The Farmington Canal Trail (an 8 mile jogging/walking/rollerblading trail) is near me, as well as some great parks. Crime is fairly low, decent restaurants nearby, etc.