Housing costs more than COA, and more?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cumminsman13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m applying to schools soon and I am very nervous about this entire living arrangement thing. Using UT Houston for example, according to the website, they estimate rent costs to be about 900 a month. All of the listings I’ve looked at that I would be interested in at around 1300 a month. Not including utilities. It says transportation costs should be around 200 a month including insurance, and gas. My insurance alone is 268 a month (I had a few too many speeding tickets). I understand that you have to live modestly, but is it possible to get loans above your schools COA? I can’t imagine that every student there who doesn’t have outside help is living with a roommate or in squalor. Also, is it hard to rent from people when your source of income is student loans? I’m single, and my parents aren’t going to be much help. Sorry, I hope these aren’t silly questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're single and over budget - sounds like you need a roommate (or another roommate).

Some people have trouble renting in big apartment complexes without a co-signer. But if you find the right owner, they'll understand you're a dental student.

Hello, I’m applying to schools soon and I am very nervous about this entire living arrangement thing. Using UT Houston for example, according to the website, they estimate rent costs to be about 900 a month. All of the listings I’ve looked at that I would be interested in at around 1300 a month. Not including utilities. It says transportation costs should be around 200 a month including insurance, and gas. My insurance alone is 268 a month (I had a few too many speeding tickets). I understand that you have to live modestly, but is it possible to get loans above your schools COA? I can’t imagine that every student there who doesn’t have outside help is living with a roommate or in squalor. Also, is it hard to rent from people when your source of income is student loans? I’m single, and my parents aren’t going to be much help. Sorry, I hope these aren’t silly questions.
Almost all apartments around universities will rent to students based off loans, but your standards may be above your paygrade here.

Get a room mate, get a less “nice” apartment. The insurance thing is just plain going to come out of some other part of your budget, that’s the cost of driving too fast

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rent can be so much cheaper in Houston than that. I know the one bedroom university housing option there is like 860 too. Get roommates or live farther away.

Very similar situation. What I did instead is to sell the car and use the money to get a housing nearby ($1300) which would require almost no transportation spending ($100 semester bus pass). This will eliminate gas/insurance/fix spendings.

All of the listings I’ve looked at that I would be interested in at around 1300 a month.
What you’re interested in and what you can afford might not be the same thing. As the saying goes, live like a dentist when you’re a student and you’ll live like a student when you’re a dentist.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 7 users
Oh man, this is horrible. I guess I’m definitely going to get my fair share of humble pie when I move. Thanks for the responses guys.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh man, this is horrible. I guess I’m definitely going to get my fair share of humble pie when I move. Thanks for the responses guys.
It sucks, but it's a nice warm welcome to the cost of a dental education these days.
Better you looked into this now rather than later

you're not in SF or NY, find a $800/month apartment or find a couple roommates and call it a day. Like others have said, you're not a dentist yet.