Housing dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustSomePreMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were attending a medical school in a relatively expensive city, would you rather choose a nice, comfortable apartment complex with one other person that was right about in line with the school's estimate for your monthly rent costs, or live in a cramped rowhouse for about half the price (with 3 or 4 other peole) and pocket the difference? (keeping in mind that 100% of your rent payments would be paid for by loans).

Members don't see this ad.

This is pretty much the only time you will ever hear me tell someone to take the more expensive route. Live where you are comfortable. It's not worth the extra headache to skimp on living arrangements to save on loans.

If the other place was quite, I'd say pocket the money. That way you can spend more time out relaxing with friends, not worrying about money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am notoriously economical, but even I would say, go with the more comfortable living situation. You can't put a price on mental health. The stress of first-year medical school can be improved if you are happy in other ways. Living with a bunch of random roommates, most of whom will surely have habits that drive you crazy and keep you from studying at home, is unlikely to turn out well. By the end of first year, you will have gotten to know other classmates you are compatible with, who would be good roommates to have, if you really want to cut costs by sharing with more people.

I plan on living alone for the first year and possibly more depending on certain things. I'd be much more comfortable being roommates with someone I become friends with during Medical school rather than a random person (these can turn out very good or very bad depending on the person!)