Housing during residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Droopy Snoopy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, appreciate any help you can give me. This probably varies by location and service, but particularly in regards to the AF what are the options regarding housing during a milmed residency?
- Are interns/residents eligible for on-base housing?
- Is one forced to live on base/off-base? Is it optional based on the resident's preference?
- What do residents normally choose? Is there some kind of waiting list for on-base housing or do the preponderance prefer to get their own pad?
- I'm assuming I'd get BAH for off-base housing and it varies slightly depending on location, and am further assuming that I would not get BAH if living on-base, but also looking for confirmation for these things.

Members don't see this ad.

From the Army perspective, but I don't think it's too different in the AF:

- Anybody is potentially eligible for on-base housing. However, 1) the waiting list is usually long 2) you usually need to have a family/dependents to warrant on-base housing. In my 10+ years, I have known very few officers (unless they were commanders or some other high-ranking position) who lived on base/post

- See the answer to number one. The only people forced to live on base in stateside locations in the Army are single soldiers with no dependents who are junior enlisted (E4 and below, but sometimes up to E6). They stay in the barracks. Enlisted/officers with dependents can live in the on-post housing (townhouse, detached house, semi-detached, etc.). I think the standards of the AF are different as far as how "nice" the buildings are (AF = better facilities) but I think the gist is the same.

- I've never met a young officer who wanted to live on post - married, single, or with children. Since I know nothing about you, I've made the assumption that you are a single young officer without financial problems and have given you advice from that perspective. Financial problems can be a reason to move on post/base and could potentially move you up on the waiting list.

- If you live off post, you will get BAH and BAS. If you live on-post, you will not get BAH (but, I imagine, you would still get BAS). I believe that if you live on-post, you also don't pay any utilities. For some soldiers, this is a plus because they don't have to worry about managing that part of their paycheck. In my experience, the BAH (esp for officers) is more than enough to cover finding a nice place and, if you don't get too grandiose, it will completely cover all of your utilities/cable/internet.

You can also contact the on-post housing office at your duty station to find out particulars. Do this as early as possible because, as I mentioned earlier, there is usually a waiting list. I would also suggest you taking a look at the facilities if you really think you're interested. It's not terrible... probably especially in the AF... but I don't think too many people would choose it if they had the option to live in town.

HTH

chaser

Hi guys, appreciate any help you can give me. This probably varies by location and service, but particularly in regards to the AF what are the options regarding housing during a milmed residency?
- Are interns/residents eligible for on-base housing?
- Is one forced to live on base/off-base? Is it optional based on the resident's preference?
- What do residents normally choose? Is there some kind of waiting list for on-base housing or do the preponderance prefer to get their own pad?
- I'm assuming I'd get BAH for off-base housing and it varies slightly depending on location, and am further assuming that I would not get BAH if living on-base, but also looking for confirmation for these things.