Housing for a month in New Orleans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juliem3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm going to Charity in New Orleans for a visiting elective in September and have no clue where to live. I heard they have some med student dorms or something similiar. . . anyone know anything about these? Or any other good suggestions? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Also consider cold-calling the student affairs offices at the medical schools there for tips on where to find housing info; they might have their own internal website.
Good luck.

I strongly recommend taking the previous advice to call Student Affairs. As a graduate of Tulane (med. school), I can tell you we received tons of emails regarding this very topic. Just be nice, and the ladies in the office will be happy to help...just give them adequate advance notice. Most students are completly OK with this sort of thing...Just put a 12-pack in the fridge every now and then. The dorms are totally sterile, though convenient to the hospitals. However, they are nowhere near grocery stores, dry cleaners, etc. Plus, downtown is a bit of a dump. There are some really cool places to live in the Big Easy...it would be a shame to spend your time downtown, trying not to step on half-eaten chicken wings on the sidewalk. If you live elsewhere, you'll have plenty of opportunities to visit the Quarter. Another thing, parking is a bitch downtown. PM me if you want more specific advice.

I recommend the 9th Ward. Cush housing at reasonable prices. Only a short walk from the Quarter and Charity. What more does a visiting med student need