housing for Rutgers MBS Fall '16

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahlee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i was wondering from those that are/have attended Rutgers MBS, where did you guys live? or what areas should i avoid? I was informed that certain locations aren't that very safe, so I was just curious.
Also for those that are attending this upcoming fall, Have you guys already found housing?

Members don't see this ad.

The most popular places: 180 West Market, 15 Washington, University Centre, and Society Hill. I live at 15 Washington. If you check out the facebook group you'll see posts of people who have rooms available as well.

Reactions: 1 user
The most popular places: 180 West Market, 15 Washington, University Centre, and Society Hill. I live at 15 Washington. If you check out the facebook group you'll see posts of people who have rooms available as well.
thank you! is the facebook group The Graduate Student Association at the Rutgers Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you have a car? What's your budget? Do you prefer to have roommates or no roommates?

I live about 10 min easy drive from campus because I wanted to save on rent and didn't want to have roommates. I'm graduating this semester so if you're interested I could probably put in a word with my landlord for you.

But like 2 posts above states, 180 west market, society hill and university center are student housing but you'd most likely be living with roommates.

It's all what you prefer :)

Best of luck!

Hey i was wondering from those that are/have attended Rutgers MBS, where did you guys live? or what areas should i avoid? I was informed that certain locations aren't that very safe, so I was just curious.
Also for those that are attending this upcoming fall, Have you guys already found housing?

^^^^

Will you have a car? What's your budget? Do you prefer to have roommates or no roommates?

I live about 10 min easy drive from campus because I wanted to save on rent and didn't want to have roommates. I'm graduating this semester so if you're interested I could probably put in a word with my landlord for you.

But like 2 posts above states, 180 west market, society hill and university center are student housing but you'd most likely be living with roommates.

It's all what you prefer :)

Best of luck!
Yes i will have a car, my budget is preferably under 800, but the cheaper the better!, I would prefer not to have roommates, but I woudln't mind having one!
If possible can you let me know what your aparmtnet complex is so i can take a look at it, and if interested will you be willing to put in a word for me?
I'm currently trying to apply to get into 180 West Market, but i'm still looking around.
Thank you so much!

Yes i will have a car, my budget is preferably under 800, but the cheaper the better!, I would prefer not to have roommates, but I woudln't mind having one!
If possible can you let me know what your aparmtnet complex is so i can take a look at it, and if interested will you be willing to put in a word for me?
I'm currently trying to apply to get into 180 West Market, but i'm still looking around.
Thank you so much!

Of course, I'll PM you.

I lived in 180 West Market. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else there. Apply early it fills up quick.

I lived in 180 West Market. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else there. Apply early it fills up quick.
applied couple days ago and paid the 200 deposit!! Is there no studio or 1 bedroom available there? I only had the options for a two or three bedroom.

applied couple days ago and paid the 200 deposit!! Is there no studio or 1 bedroom available there? I only had the options for a two or three bedroom.

They do, but you have to pull a few strings to try and get it to work. I was able to get a studio.

I have a private furnished room for rent $675 plus utilities in Society Hill, shared bath. 5 mins walk to Rutgers Medical School, where the classes will be. The grocery store, Shop Rite, is 3 mins walk. 10 mins walk to Penn Station/Path to NYC, which is 20 mins away. It's very convenient and perfect for grad student!! PM for more details

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone have any ideas as to which classes are pretty easy A's? so far i heard funds A/B are good. anything else?

anyone have any ideas as to which classes are pretty easy A's? so far i heard funds A/B are good. anything else?

Lol Funds A is farrrr from a pretty easy A. Funds B is better...both classes are a bit dense with material though. Stay away from any class with the word "Stem Cell" in the title except Developmental Biology and Stem Cells (that one's okay). Besides tox, you won't really find any easy A's in the program. A's are doable in a very good portion of the courses here...that's if you dedicate yourself to the material. So far I'm a fan of Pharm, Tox, and Basic Histo. Gene Expression just started and it seems alright. If you have an idea of classes you wanna take you can PM me and I can tell you what I know about [some] of them.

Reactions: 2 users
I was recently accepted and am trying to see if there is a Facebook for the 2016-2017 class. do you know if this is for the upcoming class as well or just last years class?? thanks

There isn't a 2016-2017 that I know of. I think the one group just gets updated as the year goes (ie: the name of the group gets changed to accommodate the current year and the admins change based on those who are leaving and those who want to take over). If you want you can ask the admins of the group to check. They're really nice and respond quick

thanks for the information i spoke with johanna and was added to the fb group for this year's program. contact her if you still need to be added

thanks for the information i spoke with johanna and was added to the fb group for this year's program. contact her if you still need to be added
What is the group called? i can only find the 2015-2016 group

This may be a dumb question, but are we able to pay for student housing with financial aid money? Has anyone done this? If so, where did you live, and how did you go about doing that?