Housing in Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cremaster2007

Birthday cake remix
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked by a ton of NYCOM students. I am moving next year from Detroit to do my residency at Northshore University Hospital/Long Island Jewish/Nassau County. I know the hospitals are relatively close, but I would like housing convenient to all of them and some what affordable. I was looking at the Great Neck area, and outer Queens, but if any of you have recommendations I would appreciate it. I figure I will be able to spend somewhere between $150,000 and $200,000. I will be there for 5 years so I would prefer a condo or Co-op, but once again I know things are much different out there so any input would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I figure I will be able to spend somewhere between $150,000 and $200,000.

I don't think you will find anything in that price range. A studio apartment rents for close to $1000 a month on the island. Anything decent (small!!) will more than likely cost you $400,000 to buy in an ok neighborhood. Try searching on here: http://www.mlslirealtor.com/

I don't think you will find anything in that price range. A studio apartment rents for close to $1000 a month on the island. Anything decent (small!!) will more than likely cost you $400,000 to buy in an ok neighborhood. Try searching on here: http://www.mlslirealtor.com/

I'll check into that site. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this question has been asked by a ton of NYCOM students. I am moving next year from Detroit to do my residency at Northshore University Hospital/Long Island Jewish/Nassau County. I know the hospitals are relatively close, but I would like housing convenient to all of them and some what affordable. I was looking at the Great Neck area, and outer Queens, but if any of you have recommendations I would appreciate it. I figure I will be able to spend somewhere between $150,000 and $200,000. I will be there for 5 years so I would prefer a condo or Co-op, but once again I know things are much different out there so any input would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

1 bedrooms start from 230 000 in Glen Cove. I saw some for 195000, but add closing costs. I am talking about coops here. Condos start from 350 000....I think if you are single rent is a best option for you.

1 bedrooms start from 230 000 in Glen Cove. I saw some for 195000, but add closing costs. I am talking about coops here. Condos start from 350 000....I think if you are single rent is a best option for you.

I currently have a fiance, but she isn't sure she is going to move out there with me the first year or so........which is adding to my dilemma, but I have realized I can maybe afford a Co-op, but even that may be pushing it:scared:

I currently have a fiance, but she isn't sure she is going to move out there with me the first year or so........which is adding to my dilemma, but I have realized I can maybe afford a Co-op, but even that may be pushing it:scared:

I think rent for the year and when she moves in buy...You have to pay lawyer, get board approved, pay coop share and other closing costs...I and my fiance in this process now, but I am starting NYCOM in Aug. It is very difficult to find something under 200000 I mean something decent, and even if you find a good one you have to put money to repair and repaint it...etc...If you are alone it will be hard for you.

since I don't know the area can you guys list a few neighborhoods near North Shore/LIJ that might be affordable and decent.

Thanks!

it's about 35 minutes away but its a direct drive basically off of Northern Blvd. I used to work there so if you want any addtl suggestions PM me, and i'll be more specific.