Housing in/near Harvard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funshine

at the fateful hour
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a friend starting grad school in architecture next fall, and she's looking for an apartment in Cambridge. Safe/clean/single/somewhat near Harvard. She doesn't have a car yet, so it better be within walking distance. Is there a subway/metro system there? I forgot.

Anyway, I'm not sure if HMS is anywhere near the architecture school, but maybe you guys know of good locations to live in Cambridge. If need be, I'll hijack the HMS Entering Class thread. :p

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

funshine said:
Hey,

I have a friend starting grad school in architecture next fall, and she's looking for an apartment in Cambridge. Safe/clean/single/somewhat near Harvard. She doesn't have a car yet, so it better be within walking distance. Is there a subway/metro system there? I forgot.

Anyway, I'm not sure if HMS is anywhere near the architecture school, but maybe you guys know of good locations to live in Cambridge. If need be, I'll hijack the HMS Entering Class thread. :p

Thanks!

The red line has a stop in Harvard Sq. and there are probably 8 or 10 bus lines that run there too. Just for future reference, HMS is in Boston, in the Longwood Medical Area, which is a bit of a pain to get to from the main campus in Cambridge. That said, Porter Sq. and Davis Sq. are good places to look, they're on the red line (5-10 min. ride) and don't carry the price tag of Harvard Sq.

Also, a lot of Harvard students live in Sommerville, which is fairly close, say 10-20 minutes from Harvard, depending on where exactly you're located.

I personally like the Kendall Square area, which is only a few Red Line T stops from Harvard Square. A lot of the apartments are architecturally "funky" and it's a cool area with some good restaurants an independent film movie theather and this cute used clothing "department store" called the Garment District. It's generally more of a commercial area. A lot of biotech companies are located around there and it's right next to MIT, but it's a pretty safe area, even if at night some of the street are deserted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, there's a thread in the post-bac forum called Boston Living which has a lot of good recommendations about the different neighborhoods around Boston and Cambridge.

HMS is in the Longwood medical area, so it's not near the Cambridge campus, but there is a shuttle (~20 minutes). The subway in Boston (called the T) is pretty good, and almost everything is walkable anyway. For apartment listings, check out boston.craigslist.org

I have a couple of friends who go to the design school (architecture) at Harvard and they all live in the inman sq/cambridge street/kirkland st area because of where the design school is located. That area also happens to be very cheap but not sketchy. Parts are still cambridge and parts are right over the somerville border. they walk or bike to school, which is nice.

There is a also a Harvard shuttle that runs from the Cambridge campus to the Longwood area. Its about a 15-20 min ride and its free with a Harvard ID.

Thundrstorm said:
HMS is in the Longwood medical area, so it's not near the Cambridge campus, but there is a shuttle (~20 minutes). The subway in Boston (called the T) is pretty good, and almost everything is walkable anyway. For apartment listings, check out boston.craigslist.org

Except for the green line. If you need to rely on the green line to get to and from school, I would look carefully for bus/ shuttle routes to school before deciding to live there. This line is notorious for delays.

Yeah, the Green Line sucks. Stay away! The D line is not bad but the B line is especially evil. The C line is like, eh, okay.

PineappleGirl said:
Yeah, the Green Line sucks. Stay away! The D line is not bad but the B line is especially evil. The C line is like, eh, okay.

I live on the D line now. It does sucks that there are never any trains, those that arrive are only 1-2 car, and I have to pay extra (Fenway stop and further outbound are more), but it's not completely horrible... and may lines are better.