Housing in Philly

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by DocHahn, Feb 9, 2001.

1. DocHahn

DocHahn Junior Member

Hi everyone,

As promised, here's some housing info. These are places where I know PCOM students live. Also, these are just my opinions so make sure you visit these complexes and get a good feel for the places.

Roxborough/Manayunk:
    This is where I live. Its a lively neighborhood with plenty of little shops and such. Crime is very minimal. Parking is usually on street and there's not much of it. One drawback is the winter. Philly in general doesn't have any winter storm preparation, but this area is bad. The area is on a steep hill with narrow streets so plowing is not an option. Here's a couple places in the area that I checked out and liked (and they all have off-street parking):

Brandywine Construction and Mgmt: They own 3 complexes in Roxborough, one of which I live in. Rent is decent although the leasing people aren't the greatest. 215/487-1600

Henry on the Park: Nice big complex bordering Fairmount Park. Rent is a little more expensive, but with a roommate is doable. 1-800-542-9909

Summit Park: A little further into Roxborough, probably takes about 20 minutes to get to school. Big complex with rent comparable to Henry on the Park 215/482-0788

Closer to school there are some places. Rent tends to be higher b/c you're on/near City Line Ave which is a main line of the city. The area is a little rougher than Roxborough, but its within walking distance to the school.

Presidential City: Huge complex with 5 massive buildings. Some students have good experiences, others very bad. I didn't really care for the place. Its a five minute walk to school though. One drawback is Temple rents some floors in some of the buildings so the undergrads can get a little loud at times. Unfortunately I lost the number, but I think you can find it on the net.

Beekman Place: I have some friends and they like it. I tried to get in, but it was full by the time I inquired. Its about 7-8 min walk to school. One of my classmates had her car stolen out of the complex's lot and I think that happens now and again there.
    215/878-2826

Lincoln Green: Very nice place that's situated beside Presidential. Rent is very high, but with a roommate or 2 its worth it. 5 minute walk to school, off street parking. 215/477-5454

That's all of the places that I checked out. Actually though, students live just about everywhere from Center City (downtown Philly) to across the bridge in Jersey. PCOM will send you a packet of info and use the internet too.

Sorry this is a long post, but I hope it helps a little. Take care...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Thanks DocHahn!

A couple quick questions. Do you find the commute from Manayunk to be a pain with the morning traffic or is it usually no problem?

Do you find Manayunk to be loud when you're trying to study? I used to hang out down there in high school and it was loud (maybe we were just rowdy)?

Lastly, being a woman and not wanting to deal with roommates, do you really think that the area right near school, ie over by the Pathmark, is really that much rougher and potentially not worth the convenience of being right near school.

Thanks!

BostonGirl

4. hopedoc

hopedoc Member

Great post, very informative. Thanks!

5. DocHahn

DocHahn Junior Member

6. jcpetruc

jcpetruc Junior Member

Thanks DocHahn for the information. I think I'll be at PCOM next year!

7. jcpetruc

jcpetruc Junior Member

Do you guys pay for parking everyday in that deck or is there a student discount?

8. DocHahn

DocHahn Junior Member

Student discount? Not at PCOM.

The Monument lot is $125 a year and the garage is $300 (I think).

9. Since everyone is talking about housing again on the other PCOM post, I thought that I'd make this current, so you all can look at it. Thanks again, DocHahn!

BostonGirl

10. DocHahn

DocHahn Junior Member

No problem. I'm glad I'm able to help. If anyone has any questions just post them up here or send me an email.

DocHahn