housing in sydney

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banana k

registered user of WHAT?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone currently in sydney or from there have any housing advice? i'm leaning toward off campus, but that's just cos i've had it with undergrad partying and stuff... any recommendations for near campus, near public transport, QUIET, maybe a studio or flatette? oh, and how's parking in the city--do i have any hope? and what about the on-campus stuff--is there anything in particular that *isn't* a continuous student lodge look-at-me-now-i'm-18-so-let's-get-plastered endeavour? i like proximity to nightlife, but i hate hearing the nightlife (or similar) when i'm trying to study or sleep... any ideas, experiences, anecdotes, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

banana k said:
anyone currently in sydney or from there have any housing advice? i'm leaning toward off campus, but that's just cos i've had it with undergrad partying and stuff... any recommendations for near campus, near public transport, QUIET, maybe a studio or flatette? oh, and how's parking in the city--do i have any hope? and what about the on-campus stuff--is there anything in particular that *isn't* a continuous student lodge look-at-me-now-i'm-18-so-let's-get-plastered endeavour? i like proximity to nightlife, but i hate hearing the nightlife (or similar) when i'm trying to study or sleep... any ideas, experiences, anecdotes, etc?

If you've never lived in Sydney before, give yourself 2 weeks to just 'find something' but you'll need over a month to find something you're happy with.

www.domain.com.au has real estate information.

The University of Sydney campus is located in Campderdown.
Glebe, Newtown, Surry Hills, Redfern, Chippendale, Ultimo, Leichhardt, Annandale, Stanmore, are some of the subburbs that are close to campus.

Glebe is an older neighbourhood with many students living there.
Some of the apartments are of 'older' quality though.
Annandale is a friendlier area- more family oriented.
Stanmore is simliar I suppose.

Lecihhardt is a more upscale are (though not as upscale as the North Shore or the city itself).

Ultimo is closer to the city (which is what Aussies refer to as downtown) and has some nice apartments in the area- though some are far from mass transport. Has a more industrial feel to it.

Chippendale and Redfern are cheaper to live in but they are neighbourhoods that have been associated with higher crime rates. Though crime in general in the area (break and enterings) of the Uni are probably simliar.

Surry Hills is a bit farther from campus and also more urban than the other neighbourhoods I mentioned before.

Living in Campderdown can be quite expensive in terms of rent but it is closest to campus. Newtown is a bit busier than Camperdown as it is more of a 'trendy' area....

The areas out west of cheaper rent like Ashfield... however, you'll have to take a bus to class.

It is easiest for you to live near a train line or main bus route.
There are some posts in this forum regarding housing advice- I'd search the forum to look for it.

I'm just too lazy to go into much more detail again..... sorry.

oh dude, i'm sorry, cheers for all the info you did put out there, i didn't mean to sound so spastic and clueless in my op. i guess what i was really asking was, 1) is there any uni-managed housing that is QUIET, near campus, and appropriate for mature-age students like us non-18yo school leavers? and 2) are there any unofficial off-campus "hot spots" for sydney postgrads and med students?

too good to be true, but doesn't hurt to ask...

Members don't see this ad :)
banana k said:
oh dude, i'm sorry, cheers for all the info you did put out there, i didn't mean to sound so spastic and clueless in my op. i guess what i was really asking was, 1) is there any uni-managed housing that is QUIET, near campus, and appropriate for mature-age students like us non-18yo school leavers? and 2) are there any unofficial off-campus "hot spots" for sydney postgrads and med students?

too good to be true, but doesn't hurt to ask...

No need to apologize.
I don't think the Uni manages any of the housing.... places that are near the University that are primarily for students are run by independent organizations.

Students live in all the places I mentioned in my previous post. The majority of locals live at home in suburbs that are farther away.

Living off campus is quiet- just stay away from major roads like Parramatta Road or King Street and you should be fine. That being said, you can't control noisy neighbours nor can you predict them.

Studios can be quite expensive but you will be able to find one.

It's not going to be easy finding a place.
Fortunately, the rental market is alive and well so you will find a place... you just need time.

There isn't a magical answer.... you really need to use www.domain.com.au and pop in some suburbs I mentioned. They have a mailing list they can send you with new listings with the suburbs, cost and number of bedrooms they specify. Combine this with http://www.whereis.com/whereis/home.jsp to get a peak at where it is on the map.

1 Missenden Road is a good address to enter as it is at the intersection of Parramatta Road and Missenden Road. Missenden Road is where the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital is located.

banana k said:

Hey
I am looking for housing in sydney too. I heard that oncampus accomodations can be pretty noisy. I am not sure where to look for offcampus housing. if you come across anything, can you please let me know. i am starting med school at usyd in feb 2006 as well.
thanks