1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Housing @ LECOM

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Docgeorge, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Docgeorge

Docgeorge Bent Over and Violated
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Where is a good place to live in Erie? Also do we need to get stethoscopes or are they given to us at school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I was told at my interview that the Philadelphia Osteopathic Society gives students stethoscopes during the white coat ceremony in Jan.

4. njdo

njdo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

There are numerous places to live in Erie...it just depends what you're looking for, and what you can afford. The cheapest way to go is to find a roommate. There are plenty of nice places nearby (Lakeview for instance) that are cheap if two people are sharing a 2 bedroom apt. Granada is the standard cheap living apartment complex. I pay $340/month for a 1 bedroom. I wouldn't recommend living here though because the management of the place stinks big time and the apartments are pretty run down. Definitely look at the apartments before moving in (an option I didn't have because I was working during the summer). Go through the rent guide book they gave you for the main places and then you'll be getting more housing info later on.

As for the stethescopes, we get Littman Cardiology III's donated, along with the white coats, from the Pennsylvania Osteopathic Medical Association (POMA). Funny you bring it up because we're in the middle of ordering them. Diagnostic kits are separate (though LECOM has awesome deals on kits because our bookstore is set-up as nonprofit). Hope that helps.

njdo

5. DocGeorge7

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Start to look early. I waited until 2 months before I moved up here and found that a lot of the places were taken. Granada was the only place where I could find a reasonably priced apt. I live with another student and we pay 220 dollars each per month for a 2 bedroom apt. Water is included too. You do have to pay electric, refuse, and sewer. The management does suck, but I don't have to deal with them that often. My apt. is ok. The buildings are old, but are far from a slum.

I have also heard that Lakeview is a nice place to live.

Good luck

6. Docgeorge

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thaks for the info guys, do you guys know any thing about Cider Mill Apts?

7. Chisel

Chisel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Check out Montagna Brothers. These are very nice townhouses a few miles from LECOM. The gentleman who owns these homes is very nice.

I think the rent for a two bedroom is around $650.

If you can't find any info. on them let me know and I will get you the information.

Also, POMA will give you a very nice stethoscope and lab coat.

Hope this helps.

8. Docgeorge

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks for the info. The whole dynamic has changed for me. I received an interview to UHS (my fiance is going there) on Dec 11. If I get in I am going there. Keeping my fingers crossed and see what happens.