Housing on campus (PENN)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applescrapple

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a single apartment on campus...somewhere that's convenient and close to the dental school.

I looked on the PENN website and saw that there's university housing for graduate students called The Samson Place--can anyone tell me if it's a good/quiet place to live as a 1st year in dental school? Are there other/better apartments around that I should look into?

Also, when should I fly over there and sign the lease for next fall semester?

and

would it be better to have a car if I'll be living in an apartment??

I'd really appreciate your help! Thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

Samson is apparently the worst place to live. Get an apartment close to the dental school. There is a housing lottery in March I think. And cars are not necessary.

BigRedDentist said:
Samson is apparently the worst place to live. Get an apartment close to the dental school. There is a housing lottery in March I think. And cars are not necessary.
Is it truely that bad?

Members don't see this ad :)
cowsgomoo said:
Is it truely that bad?

I can't imagine it would be THAT bad. I dont' think it would be a horrible idea to live there your first year to get a better feel for Philly and then get your own place when you're adjusted to everything.

BigRedDentist said:

It's a dorm. A rather expensive and dated dorm. For the money you could live just as close to school - if not a bit closer - have your own functional kitchen and ceilings that aren't 5 ft high and be in a greater degree of comfort and privacy. My friends that live in Sansom are making a huge exodus this summer and they are not looking back. There are plenty of private apartments around the dental school. If anyone would like some advice on this matter or anything else, don't be afraid to shoot me a PM or IM me.

Samson Place sucks! Call University City Housing: (215) 222-5449 You can get a place that is cheaper, bigger, and closer to the school...

when i went to grad school there, i lived on 43rd & spruce. i paid i think 550 for a studio on the 3rd floor. it was a quite building where mainly grad students lived. the walk isn't too bad. i think about 5 blocks???? but i think at night you might not want to walk home by yourself. there are plenty of apartments above 38th that you can look into.

pastor's wife said:
when i went to grad school there, i lived on 43rd & spruce. i paid i think 550 for a studio on the 3rd floor. it was a quite building where mainly grad students lived. the walk isn't too bad. i think about 5 blocks???? but i think at night you might not want to walk home by yourself. there are plenty of apartments above 38th that you can look into.

heh heh, keep going down the street, 45th and spruce, it's $450 for a large size studio. but then you get to trade off cheap rent with a more exciting part of town

wow, is Samson that bad? I was planning to live there next year becuase it seems to be really close to the Gym, according to the campus map. Maybe I should think about it again :scared:

fox0399 said:
wow, is Samson that bad? I was planning to live there next year becuase it seems to be really close to the Gym, according to the campus map. Maybe I should think about it again :scared:

It is close to the gym. It's not all that bad, but it is a dorm nonetheless: paperthin walls, low ceilings, small quarters, etc. You can easily get a private apartment just as close to the dental school as Sansom.

yes - samson IS that bad and for those of you who dont know, now you know. it is a complete rip off and now you can't complain about the place if you still decide to move in there. for the same price (if not even less) you can find a much better place. keep in mind that this is STILL a dorm.

if you have a car, and dont mind spending a little more money, you can get a sweet place for the same price with a short commute. do the research yourself.